Menu

Feedback on my first 9th grader?

Here is what we currently have scheduled for her: 

English 1 - Omnibus 3 (at home) and Windows to the World with the Jill Pyke Syllabus (at co-op)

History - Omnibus 3

Bible - Omnibus 3

Biology - CK12 with Quality Science Lab Kit

Art Appreciation - using a high school text I found

Algebra 1 - Saxon

So, that's 6 credits. I'm assuming 5 core credits and Bible will be an elective? She also will participate in 2 hours of choir with a group for the duration of the school year and an additional 40 minutes of choir in co-op weekly for the fall semester. There is also choir homework. Can I count that as a credit?

She's also doing Fallacy Detective in co-op. I'm wondering if I should work to turn that into a half logic credit? Or not even worry about that?

We are planning on starting foreign language next year at the community college. I'm wondering if I need to pick up a PE credit or something else this year. Sigh. I just looked at our local high school and their graduation plans require a minimum of 27 credits.

Thanks for any help. It's a bit daunting to dive into high school. 

50 minutes ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

Could you do a 1/2 credit for choir, and then 1/2 credit for either logic or P.E. or both?  Is she doing something that could already count as P.E.?  If not, would making it into a credit provide some incentive for her to exercise regularly and if so would that be a good thing?

I agree.

Fallacy Detective is really light so unless the co-op beefs it up, I wouldn't count it. But, you could combine it with something another year to get a half credit of logic. Keep that one in your back pocket.

Technically, art will be an elective along with bible. But electives are good to have, especially if they show interest or help a student figure out what they are interested in.

I think you have at least a half credit of choir- maybe more if you want to track hours.

Is art going to be a full year?

I always suggest starting lighter for 9th grade. Allow for plenty of time for interests & extra curriculars. You can pick up a half credit (or more) during the summer & later years might lend themselves to heavier schedules if needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Fallacy Detective is really light so unless the co-op beefs it up, I wouldn't count it. But, you could combine it with something another year to get a half credit of logic. Keep that one in your back pocket.

Technically, art will be an elective along with bible. But electives are good to have, especially if they show interest or help a student figure out what they are interested in.

I think you have at least a half credit of choir- maybe more if you want to track hours.

Is art going to be a full year?

I always suggest starting lighter for 9th grade. Allow for plenty of time for interests & extra curriculars. You can pick up a half credit (or more) during the summer & later years might lend themselves to heavier schedules if needed.

I have art scheduled for the whole year with a lot of time for art projects as well. She really loves art. But, the book only has 14 chapters and we could finish it in a semester.