Menu

Fun coincidence (family history)

Mbelle

For the geneology interested!

We decided to go on a weekend getaway in the mountains and have rented a cabin in advance.  The owner turns out to have the same last name as dh and they joked they might be kin.  DH said he doubted it since he is Australian.   After some back and forth they discovered both of their great grandfathers are from the same place in England and both emigrated to US and Aus around the same time.  And, this guy actually lives 3 miles from us.  Dh may not be kin, but what a coincidence!   

• Like 4

If the ggp are from the same place,  at the same time,  they might still be related. You need to go back farther. 

We had an older couple at church whose gps/ggps emigrated from the same place in Sweden  - to different locations.  They were related. 

Edited by gardenmom5
I hate autocorrect....
  • Like 3

I agree with the others that if you go back several generations, people in the same place with the same last name are very likely related.  Unless they're Millers. 😉  I still haven't figured out that branch of the tree.

Several years ago when I was doing some genealogy work online (searching cemetery records, obituaries, etc.) I thought of my grandmother's best friend and wondered if she was still alive.  She had passed, as I had expected, and I found her obituary.  I was startled when I saw her maiden name.  It's an unusual name and in my grandmother's family tree.  Yep.  I did a little bit of searching and found out that Grandma and her best friend were third cousins!!

• Like 4