Menu

Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons?

mamakelly

Anyone used IEW Ancient History-Based Writing Lessons? I haven't used IEW in ages, probably 8ish years. It didn't go over very well with my daughter, so we only used it for a few months. I think it would be a good fit for my upcoming 6th grader. Just curious if I really have to buy the IEW videos to use it, or can I wing it with 18 years of homeschooling knowledge behind me hahaha. Also, do you feel the need to supplement with grammar or is there enough in it? My 6th grader is a also taking a farm school class one day a week that will incorporate some writing, so I don't need a super heavy writing program, just a little extra. 

Edit- I just saw another post essentially asking the same thing about the DVD's... so I'm going to read through those responses. So I guess my questions is about grammar, what grammar does everyone use with this? I looked at the Fix-It books, but I don't think that's a good fit for him...

Edited by mamakelly

I responded on the other thread about the dvds, but here is my 2 cents for grammar 🙂

I use Analytical Grammar for my 6th-8th graders. Thorough, complete, straightforward, easy to teach, easy to speed up if they need less practice but plenty of practice exercises provided, has worked for my 3 oldest kids who are all different learning styles, is a 3 year cycle of 10 weeks in 6th, 8 weeks in 7th, and 18 weeks in 8th so they're not doing grammar all.the.time.

Only con is it's kinda pricey.

10 minutes ago, mamakelly said:

That's an interesting point. I'm fine with less rigor. It seems to be fully parent directed though... DO you feel like your student can complete it independently?

He does it on his own and I correct it. He's in 2nd so you will have no issues.