Menu

teaching a 7th grader and a 1st grader together

Hello,

I have a friend who will be homeschooling this year.

She has 2 kids. One in 7th grade and one in 1st grade. No special reason why she is homeschooling. She just is. As far as I am concerned the kids are on par with schooling.

My oldest is only in 5th, so I am out of my element. What are some typical programs for a 7th grader?

Interested in LA, math, history, and science.

I guess what I am asking is something like this:

LA:  lightening lit 7, worldly wise 7, sequential spelling 7

Math: prealgebra

History: history of us by joy hakim

Science:  RSO bio 2

I will try to find out more of what this kid did last year.

Thanks. 🙂

If she is just starting to homeschool this year, esp. for the 7th grader, she might want to either use similar materials as to what the student was using in the school, or go with a more all-in-one/box curriculum so the focus for the first semester can be on transitioning into homeschool, and finding their own unique rhythm and goals.  Also rather than a big bundle of individual programs each with a big learning curve (esp. if jumping it at middle school level), a box program is easier on mom to figure out, plus mom learning how to teach/mentor. And, in case random homeschooling (lol) turns out to be a failed experiment, it's easy to slide right back into school at any time if you've been using the same or similar materials.

All that said -- maybe something like K-12 to start with, to cover all the subjects and make it easy to check off all the boxes with no gaps? Or go with things that are very open and go -- texts and workbooks, to start with; curricula with video lessons for instruction to help both mom and student. Without knowing more about this particular student's learning style and level, and this particular homeschooling mom's teaching style, time to invest, etc., I would be very hesitant to suggest very many specific programs for the different subject areas.

Subjects a 7th grader typically covers:

Language Arts:
- Literature -- beginning literary analysis/discussion/deeper digging into books
- Writing
- Grammar
- optional: Spelling, if still needed
- optional: Vocabulary, if desired, or if not included in the literature

Math -- usually it is somewhere in the range of  7th grade math, Pre-Algebra or Algebra 1, depending on the student
Science -- 
Social Studies
- History -- since 1.0 credit of American History is usually required in high school, perhaps do something else since he'd be re-doing U.S. History in just a few years
- Geography

optional: Foreign Language
optional: Logic
optional: PE -- a sport, martial arts lessons, dance lessons, horseback riding, regular hiking/biking/running/kayaking, etc.
optional: Fine Arts -- Music or Art lessons; photography; filmmaking; animation; digital arts; etc.
optional: Elective -- 7th grade is a good time to provide time for a student to explore interests -- Computer Coding, Robotics, Jewelry Making, Woodworking

For the 1st grader:

Language Arts:

- Reading = learning to read program
- Read-Aloud list of good books
- Readers = lots of trips to the library to get stepped readers to encourage enjoyment of reading and strengthen reading skills
- Phonics = to aid with reading, and as pre-cursor to Spelling
- Handwriting
- optional: Spelling -- I honestly don't feel this is needed until at least 2nd grade, unless you have an advanced reading/writing student
- optional: Grammar -- not needed until at least 3rd grade
- optional: Vocabulary -- not needed until later in elementary grades

Math
- math program
- math facts practice

Science, History, Geography -- just for fun; books from the library and a few crafts/projects work great at this age

I also would suggest finding a homeschool support group in the area, or at least extracurriculars for the 7th grader to plug in to for friendships and/or activities to do with peers with shared interests. That becomes increasingly important in the middle school and high school years.

And I would definitely suggest that she do a little reading about homeschooling to determine her goals for doing so, and her educational philosophy, which will help her later on in selecting materials and know *why* she's doing this and that it's *worth* doing, for when the going WILL get tough. Very kind of you to walk alongside your friend, and wishing both your family and hers a great school year! Warmest regards, Lori D.

• Like 1

Thank you lori.  That makes sense.

Yes. We are going to go over the different philosophies and techniques etc when I get back from vaca. This was sprung on me today. Trying to gather more facts before we talk. 👍😄 because I am pretty sure what works for us was not the way to go for her right now.

What is generally used in schools? Abeka? Anything else?

Now that I think about it. Her oldest was not in a typical public school. Her child went to a school that a lot of homeschoolers use as well.

Your input helps. I need to know more from her too. Thanks again!

For history, she could do your state's history, with both dc. She would find resources in the local library, and so field trips and whatnot. It would be fine not to have a textbook; this year, they're all going to be getting used to homeschooling, and some things should just be light.

Unless the older ds's spelling is really atrocious, she could just drop that. It isn't common in seventh grade, really. If she really wants to, I would do spelling by itself, rather than adding vocabulary. Rod and Staff's Spelling by Sound and Structure is pretty comprehensive, as it adds dictionary skills, etymologies, and more.

Or he could do Total Language Plus, which would cover everything.

• Like 1