Menu

Update on back MRI and chiro

PeterPan

On July 21, 2019 at 7:43 AM, TravelingChris said:

Ankolosing Spondylosis is a autoimmune arthritis that affects the spine, neck, sacroilliac joints, heel pain, and all sorts of other things and steroids are one of the things that helps. 

Ok so I will say that I don't have plain in the neck, heel, etc. I don't know what the sacroilliac is, lol. But really, it's my lower back. And that's probably why the doc started with the basic "where are you hurting" kwim? Like he was giving me a chance to say other places. But I'm all for tests, because sure I'm pretty good at missing body signals, lol. I also do not have uveitis. 

Ok, I'm going to go look up that gene again. Apparently the HLA-B has many forms and the HLA-B27 is the one you don't want. I'll go look.

So 23andme tests only one SNP, rs13202464 and that was in my dd's report. The free study I used shows HLA-B but doesn't specify that b27 and none of the RS# that are grey go back to b27. So I may have another, ok HLA-B variant. Apparently there are a bunch. 

Edited by PeterPan

3 hours ago, kbutton said:

Not to derail, but I have a question...does the pain in these areas present as bone pain or myofascial pain? And do myofascial release techniques help pain due to this disorder?

It is pain in the ligaments, bursas, tendons, all  those kind of things and also in the joints,  Eventually, if your joints fuse- which happens a lot more with the men than the women, you actually stop having pain but can't move well at all.  

Dancing is a great form of exercise with AS,  One of the classic problems with AS is you have issues getting out of bed- because lying down, sitting down or standing all cause you to stiffen up.  Since most of us sleep for hours, your body is quite stiff in the morning- especially if you are having a flare.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

It is pain in the ligaments, bursas, tendons, all  those kind of things and also in the joints,  Eventually, if your joints fuse- which happens a lot more with the men than the women, you actually stop having pain but can't move well at all.  

Dancing is a great form of exercise with AS,  One of the classic problems with AS is you have issues getting out of bed- because lying down, sitting down or standing all cause you to stiffen up.  Since most of us sleep for hours, your body is quite stiff in the morning- especially if you are having a flare.  

That was actually what helped me feel better about my SI joint pain, because mine is worse at night, not in the morning, so I'm thinking I can rule that out. 

OP, the SI joint is where the hip bone and the tail bone meet - you have two of them, on either side of the tail bone. 

pelvic-bone-diagram.jpg