Menu

Avancemos Spanish-- What do I need?

I decided to use Avancemos Levels 1 and 2 for the classes I am teaching at a hybrid school this year. I found the student texts at Christianbook.com is that all the students need? Also, I am having a harder time finding the Teachers Manual. Also, some of the teachers manual's say "Spanish edition"...are there multiple editions? Why would one choose one over the others? Where is the best place to purchase the TM? Are there any additional support materials that would be beneficial?

Thank you all! 

I've been using Avancemos to teach small classes the past few years. It's my favorite text. 

But you definitely want to get the online stuff. Buy a license for each kid (~$18 each) direct from the publisher. It has all the videos, the audio listening files, lots of extra practice worksheets with reminders of the lesson on the first page, the whole student workbook in PDF form, an online copy of the text, and more. And you get included with that your own access to the teacher materials, with an online copy of the Teacher's guide,  all the answer keys to everything,  extra reading and classroom activities,  and online and/or printed quizzes and tests at three different difficulty levels. 

There's also optional online practice stuff with immediate feedback that would be great for studying for a test.

I have the students reimburse me for the licenses with a materials fee.

1 hour ago, Matryoshka said:

I've been using Avancemos to teach small classes the past few years. It's my favorite text. 

But you definitely want to get the online stuff. Buy a license for each kid (~$18 each) direct from the publisher. It has all the videos, the audio listening files, lots of extra practice worksheets with reminders of the lesson on the first page, the whole student workbook in PDF form, an online copy of the text, and more. And you get included with that your own access to the teacher materials, with an online copy of the Teacher's guide,  all the answer keys to everything,  extra reading and classroom activities,  and online and/or printed quizzes and tests at three different difficulty levels. 

There's also optional online practice stuff with immediate feedback that would be great for studying for a test.

I have the students reimburse me for the licenses with a materials fee.

Where do I purchase it? And do they have a print teachers guide?

1 minute ago, ByGrace3 said:

Looking at the Christianbook.com Avancemos, I think it comes with the link to the online materials? I hope? Ugh why is this so difficult to navigate.

It might come with it - they do sell it that way, I think.  I just bought one-or-two-editions-old print copies (and yes, including a used print teachers guide) cheap from Amazon, so they obviously didn't include the online materials.  But it's good to know how to buy the licenses separately anyway, as the licenses are usually just for one year (but can be for more) - and do you then get access to the teacher's materials (I honestly don't know).

You can just call the publisher (hmhco.com) and order it right from them.  This should be the latest catalog - Avancemos 1 listings start on p. 465 (I could swear there used to be a catalog just for Foreign Language materials that was much shorter - can't find it now...).  If you want to buy just the online materials (if your books don't come with a code, but maybe they do, so then don't bother until they run out), then you want the Online Student Edition with Resources One Year under "Individual Components" - to avoid confusion I use the ISBN listed.  There seems to be a typo in the newest catalog, in that in most of the listings they call Avancemos Level 1 Level 1C instead?  That's confusing.  But there's no other Level 1 listed - can't imagine they've gotten rid of their Spanish 1 text in favor of a third level of middle-school Spanish (Levels 1A and 1B were always middle school level and both together were the same as regular high school Level 1).  As you can tell from the price sheet, they have like 500 different bundles of hardcopy and licenses that expire in various lengths of time, so heaven knows what version Christianbooks is selling.  If you do already have it bundled with the online stuff, find out how long the licenses last and if you get your own password to set up a teacher account.  I just call HMH on the phone - the number is on the last page of that catalog.  The website is a morass and I can't find anything.

In case it helps, I emailed Christianbook about the Avancemos package a couple of months ago. I'll paste my question and the reply below.

Regarding Stock #858654: Avancemos! (Spanish) Level 1 Homeschool https://www.christianbook.com/avancemos-level-1-homeschool/9780547858654/pd/858654

Question: What is included in this? Is the interactive online teacher's guide, worksheets, and student access to online interactive textbook exercises included through an access code? thanks for any info.

Thanks for asking about one of our products! Here's the answer to your question:

The Homeschool Package includes the Student Textbook, access to the Online Interactive Student Text that allows students to input oral, multiple-choice and written responses to every activity in the book, interactive readers, vocabulary & grammar practice, and access to Online Teacher Resources.                          

To obtain the access code, you must email your full name, ISBN, and email address to:                      
HOMESCHOOLINQUIRIES@HMHCO.COM                  

Thanks again for checking with us! If you need anything else, just let us know.

Matt. L

Customer Service

Christianbook

I'll add you can go to the Avancemos/Houghton Mifflin website and if you register you can preview all of their online stuff for maybe 4 months? (I don't remember how long the preview is for.) . They have a ton of materials available, but personally I found it really difficult to figure out what I needed/wanted, and difficult to find things when I did know what I was looking for.  It was a bit overwhelming for me.  I can see it being a fabulous resource for someone who teaches this stuff full-time and knows what they are looking for though.

1 hour ago, blue plaid said:

I'll add you can go to the Avancemos/Houghton Mifflin website and if you register you can preview all of their online stuff for maybe 4 months? (I don't remember how long the preview is for.) . They have a ton of materials available, but personally I found it really difficult to figure out what I needed/wanted, and difficult to find things when I did know what I was looking for.  It was a bit overwhelming for me.  I can see it being a fabulous resource for someone who teaches this stuff full-time and knows what they are looking for though.

When I first signed up, I talked to a guy there who walked me through where things are including some very not obvious stuff that you can only find using the "Browse" button.  But then it was fairly easy to find what I wanted. It's got way more than any one teacher could use do that you can use it in many different ways (heritage speakers, pre-AP, remedial, and middle-of-the-road), and a lot of redundancy for how much you want to do online vs print.

ok so update. I am barely farther along than I was days ago. This is so frustrating. I called the company yesterday and after over an hour on the phone with 3 different customer service reps I FINALLY had the ISBN numbers of the packages I needed....then I tried to order them and they wouldn't let me because I was not a school. They offered me the homeschool version but could  not tell me the difference in the homeschool verse classroom teachers guide and from what I am inferring the homeschool version does not have full access to the online resources like the tests and answer keys etc. I will be using this at a school in a classroom...but I am paying for it and having it shipped to me because it is a small hybrid school that uses a church building and is not using the space this summer. 

In 10 years of curriculum ordering I have never been this frustrated. The website is counter-intuitive, the customer service incredibly unhelpful. 

I will be trying again tomorrow, but was so frustrated after yesterday's experience I needed a break. I finally got the PO box for the school so hopefully can have it shipped there. 

Ridiculous. 

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

ok so update. I am barely farther along than I was days ago. This is so frustrating. I called the company yesterday and after over an hour on the phone with 3 different customer service reps I FINALLY had the ISBN numbers of the packages I needed....then I tried to order them and they wouldn't let me because I was not a school. They offered me the homeschool version but could  not tell me the difference in the homeschool verse classroom teachers guide and from what I am inferring the homeschool version does not have full access to the online resources like the tests and answer keys etc. I will be using this at a school in a classroom...but I am paying for it and having it shipped to me because it is a small hybrid school that uses a church building and is not using the space this summer. 

In 10 years of curriculum ordering I have never been this frustrated. The website is counter-intuitive, the customer service incredibly unhelpful. 

I will be trying again tomorrow, but was so frustrated after yesterday's experience I needed a break. I finally got the PO box for the school so hopefully can have it shipped there. 

Ridiculous. 

Huh.  They've never given me a problem for not being a school.  I just told them I'm a teacher and gave them my home address.  I did use my made-up homeschool academy name, I think, but I was honest that I was just a private tutor/teacher (I'm pretty much doing the exact same thing you are - teaching a small class at a homeschool resource place where I cannot receive mail - although the license codes are emailed to your inbox, so they don't actually mail you anything unless you're ordering physical texts).  The "homeschool version" also includes hardcopy texts, so you don't want that - didn't you already buy those from Christianbooks?  Do they sell the "homeschool version" already??  The website is totally useless, I agree  - that's why I've always called.  You do need to have the ISBN to order - to figure that out they told me to talk to my regional rep, as the cust. service people indeed have no idea.  They gave me his number and he linked me to that catalog with the ISBNs and told me what to order, then I called cust. service and gave them the number.   The local rep (not customer service) also gave me the free 4-month access to the online stuff to play with in the meantime.  If you want help with navigating the online stuff, then talk to tech support.  They were actually very helpful.  Customer "service" only takes orders - they know nothing besides enter ISBN and take credit card.

Edited by Matryoshka

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 8:05 AM, Matryoshka said:

Can I ask where you found the link to purchase the $18 access? I see the free resources on classzone.com but can't access the teacher's toolkit without a teacher's access code which I assume would be with a new purchase. I am wanting to buy a used textbook on Amazon and just the license.

Also, does anyone know if there is considerable difference between the 2007 & 2018 editions. If it's notable, I may just purchase the new text from Christianbook and get the access code that way, but if I can piece it together with an old book and class zone activities then that might work. I've opened the free 4 month membership with them and see that having the teacher resources online really isn't all that helpful. lol

Edited by SaDonna

• 7 months later...