Menu

Is WTMA Algebra I (AoPS) a complete algebra class?

When comparing chapters 1-10 of the book with what my local school district lists for Algebra I, you would be missing out on some topics. The Algebra I course offered by my local school district includes quadratic inequalities (chapter 15) and functions (chapters 16+17) as topics covered. I think part of why It's done that way is that a lot of the topics in the 2nd half of the book (logarithms, for example) are Algebra II topics in many school districts. 

• Like 1

From what I have seen posted on these boards about AOPS:

Algebra 1 = chapters 1-13 of Intro to Algebra

Algebra 2 = chapters 14-22 of Intro, 1-4 of Intermediate (which is review), and 5-16 of Intermediate (ch 17-20 is competition math and can be omitted) 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 12:35 PM, daijobu said:

I'm a little confused because the WTMA Algebra I class (that uses AoPS) only covers chapter 1-10.  Will this be equivalent to a regular algebra class in school?  

I have compared Intro to Algebra-AOPS with a standard text book (Algebra Structure and Method: Brown, Dolciani's Classic text) and found that Chapters 1-10 do not cover Algebra I content entirely.

For complete coverage of Algebra I as compared to the Brown-Dolciani school text while using AOPS textbooks, I found that the following scope for AOPS worked:

Intro to Algebra-Chapters 1-13, Polynomials (chapter 18), Functions (chapter 16), add chapters 14, 15 optionally. Then, add the Polynomial Division chapter from the Intermediate Algebra text Chapter 6.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2