Menu

feeding 10yr old boys (who are picky and have food allergies)

Noreen Claire

How much does your 10yr old boy eat on a typical day? What are your best ways at getting a growing kid who is picky and has food allergies to eat a balanced diet while also getting enough calories?

DS10 is allergic to tree nuts and eggs (no quiche, hard-boiled, scrambled, etc but can have baked goods with eggs in them, like cookies and banana bread). He dislikes milk and cheese, unless it's cheese quesadillas or baked mac n' cheese. He cannot tolerate poultry of any kind (including broth); it upsets his stomach and makes him vomit (he's been tested, no allergies). He no longer likes peanut butter, but will eat a spoonful if he has no other protein choice available. He likes salmon, but that gets pricey quick! He is suddenly hungry ALL THE TIME. I know that he needs the calories but, if it was up to him, they would all come from white rice, buttered pasta, hamburgers, and desserts. Any tricks on getting more vegetables and good proteins into this kid?

Gardening so he’s grown some food and may graze it.  Or be more interested in it

As much deliciousness as you can to introduce salads, including yummy dressings, salmon...

Zucchini and or pumpkin based breads or muffins or cookies with as much legitimate food in them as possible, oats perhaps,    And as little sugar as possible, maybe an alternative sweetener

As much food stuff as possible along with hamburgers 

I agree with trying to intro pizza.  A lot can be put on top

and trying to intro more varied toppings for pasta   And or use spinach or Jerusalem artichoke pastas

try finger foods of vegetables with dip

would be eat a taco?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HeighHo said:

change the spices and way the chicken is prepared

Chicken Poultry of any sort ends in puke, even if he doesn't know it's there. He ate it without issue until a few years ago. Now, it doesn't matter how it's prepared or what it's flavored with. We had hot dogs once that made him sick - I didn't realize that they weren't all-beef and included pork & chicken. *sigh*

Edited by Noreen Claire

49 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Oh, also, going back to the cheese, start under cooking them.  Just a little bit of the time, but make it so the cheese is less melty.  Progressively so.  If you keep doing this, and you have him help you make these things every time, you should be able to slowly transition him into eating shredded cheddar cheese.

Oh, also, veggies.....does he eat most bread goods, like pancakes, waffles, etc?  If so, you can very easily sink some shredded zukes or squash, or even some very finely grated/shredded carrot into the pancakes.  Zukes and squash have such a light colored flesh and mild flavor that they are easy to sneak into the baked goods.  

Does he eat pizza?  If not, you can transition him into pizzas by starting with open faced quesadillas.  

He used to eat cheese. He's stopped in the last six months or so. No more cheese sticks as a protein choice at lunch. He will eat grilled cheese, as long as it's provolone. We have pizza every Friday but, even that he is starting to complain about the cheese.

I make an awesome double-chocolate zucchini bread where you can't see or taste the zucchini at all - he knows it's there and won't even try it. I always have an audience when I cook!

15 minutes ago, Pen said:

Gardening so he’s grown some food and may graze it.  Or be more interested in it

As much deliciousness as you can to introduce salads, including yummy dressings, salmon...

Zucchini and or pumpkin based breads or muffins or cookies with as much legitimate food in them as possible, oats perhaps,    And as little sugar as possible, maybe an alternative sweetener

As much food stuff as possible along with hamburgers 

I agree with trying to intro pizza.  A lot can be put on top

and trying to intro more varied toppings for pasta   And or use spinach or Jerusalem artichoke pastas

try finger foods of vegetables with dip

would be eat a taco?

I forgot about taco meat. No one else will eat it due to the sauce/spices (maybe DS23, but he rarely eats with us). Maybe I will make a batch and freeze it in portions. I used to make it with ground chicken or turkey, I guess that why I stopped - he stopped being able to keep down poultry.

Does he feel ill from foods other than chicken?

there are sensitivity and intolerance reactions different than “allergies “

another approach is to have no junk available and figure he’ll eat good food when he’s hungry enough 

unless he’s anorexic 

have you read books like bread and jam for Frances.  I may have title wrong

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

I forgot about taco meat. No one else will eat it due to the sauce/spices (maybe DS23, but he rarely eats with us). Maybe I will make a batch and freeze it in portions. I used to make it with ground chicken or turkey, I guess that why I stopped - he stopped being able to keep down poultry.

We usually use hamburger, no spices in it.  Sometimes other meats left over

we put toppings as each person wants, including salsa or enchilada (usually mild or medium) sauce  to personal taste

greens of various sorts sometimes shredded cheese maybe some chopped onion 

I have acid reflux trouble and don’t use any hot sauces or spices with it

sometimes we have had fish tacos

sometimes bean tacos (corn tortillas and beans together are a complete protein) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

He used to eat cheese. He's stopped in the last six months or so. No more cheese sticks as a protein choice at lunch. He will eat grilled cheese, as long as it's provolone. We have pizza every Friday but, even that he is starting to complain about the cheese.

How about cheeseless pizza?

13 minutes ago, Noreen Claire said:

I make an awesome double-chocolate zucchini bread where you can't see or taste the zucchini at all - he knows it's there and won't even try it. I always have an audience when I cook!

Yum!    

Oh well, too bad for him.  I’d limit dessert options to things like that.  Up to him to give it a try. 

Sounds wonderful, would yo you share your recipe?

13 minutes ago, Pen said:

Sounds wonderful, would yo you share your recipe?

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/double-chocolate-zucchini-bread-recipe

If you shred the zucchini finely, it melts right into the batter and you can't see it at all. It's delicious! (Also, I use Hershey powdered cocoa, it's always been fine.) I'm going to have to buy zucchini this weekend!

• Thanks 1

Chili, sloppy joes, and spaghetti sauce are hearty and my recipes have some veggies (besides the tomato sauce) in them.  Tacos with guacamole are more filling than just meat and cheese.  They go well with chips and salsa, which would add some tomato.  A sausage, ham, or pork chop biscuit with a side of fruit smoothie (frozen fruit blended with full fat vanilla yogurt) is a filling breakfast at my house.  All of the stuff I've listed can be frozen in single portions and reheated as needed.  Stir-fry is also popular at my house - any meat and veggies that you like, served with rice or noodles.  My kids also really like old-school hearty food - beef in gravy over noodles or mashed potatoes, for instance, which fills them up.  For veggies, green beans sauteed with garlic or broccoli roasted in olive oil have a different taste and texture than mushy steamed veggies.  They also like it when I slice summer squash really thin and roast or broil it with olive oil and salt - I rarely time it perfectly to make chips, but the squash has a sweet and salty taste.  They love it even more if I bread and fry it, but that's time consuming and messy and not happening every day.  When the garden is in season, we have roasted squash pretty much daily.  Would he eat something like a baked potato topped with bacon, shredded BBQ, or one of the seasoned ground beef items?  I make twice baked potatoes in big batches and freeze them, so he could mix and match single-serve meat toppings to make different snacks from the freezer.  

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, ClemsonDana said:

Chili, sloppy joes, and spaghetti sauce are hearty and my recipes have some veggies (besides the tomato sauce) in them.  Tacos with guacamole are more filling than just meat and cheese.  They go well with chips and salsa, which would add some tomato.  A sausage, ham, or pork chop biscuit with a side of fruit smoothie (frozen fruit blended with full fat vanilla yogurt) is a filling breakfast at my house.  All of the stuff I've listed can be frozen in single portions and reheated as needed.  Stir-fry is also popular at my house - any meat and veggies that you like, served with rice or noodles.  My kids also really like old-school hearty food - beef in gravy over noodles or mashed potatoes, for instance, which fills them up.  For veggies, green beans sauteed with garlic or broccoli roasted in olive oil have a different taste and texture than mushy steamed veggies.  They also like it when I slice summer squash really thin and roast or broil it with olive oil and salt - I rarely time it perfectly to make chips, but the squash has a sweet and salty taste.  They love it even more if I bread and fry it, but that's time consuming and messy and not happening every day.  When the garden is in season, we have roasted squash pretty much daily.  Would he eat something like a baked potato topped with bacon, shredded BBQ, or one of the seasoned ground beef items?  I make twice baked potatoes in big batches and freeze them, so he could mix and match single-serve meat toppings to make different snacks from the freezer.  

Sounds yummy!

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

Chicken varies in quality...some suppliers inject.  You'll have to experiment to figure out what is the objectionable ingredient.

With puking each time, I’d probably just avoid.

however, he may be having problems where a shift to more natural/organic foods now could help stop a cascade of losing the ability to eat more and more foods. If there’s an underlying problem with additives or similar ingredients.