Menu

Improving ACT English Score?

So, ds did not do as well as I hoped on the English portion of the ACT.  Not awful, but he needs to raise it several points if possible by the next time he takes it (maybe in January?).  Any suggestions of an course of study to specifically improve this area.  He has always hated actual grammar study but doesn't mind writing and enjoys reading so I was honestly surprised he scored the way he did.  For Pete's sake, I was worried about his math score (he's only finishing Geometry now) but he scored higher on math than in English!  Yes, I feel like beating my head against a wall!

Anyway, any specific ideas?  I had put off deciding on writing/grammar etc for his senior year so my plans are wide open in that area.

If you're interested in an ACT prep program, DS used PrepScholar and scored 36s in English & Reading. It's $400 for a year of unlimited access, and DS thought it was really effective in preparing him specifically for the test. PrepScholar raised his score enough to qualify for an additional $16K in scholarship money, so it more than paid for itself.

• Like 2