Menu

Algebra 1 workbook

I am teaching Algebra 1 to a student this year who will need to take a test at the end of the summer in order to place into geometry.

He is going to need to do a review of Algebra 1 over the summer to consolidate skills.  (When I say "Algebra 1," I mean through quadratics.  I've found some workbooks that are called "Algebra 1," but they only go through linear equations/functions.) 

He does best with a workbook that provides ample space to write.  Is there such a thing?

1 hour ago, Janeway said:

I actually bought the book Derek Owens uses from Lulu.com and taught my son himself. My son, that particular one, did much better with workbooks than otherwise.

Do you mean the book with the skeletal notes and the worksheets?  How did your son figure out what was supposed to go in the blank parts in the notes?

On 5/24/2019 at 10:47 AM, EKS said:

Do you mean the book with the skeletal notes and the worksheets?  How did your son figure out what was supposed to go in the blank parts in the notes?

I used to teach math and I bought the textbook that it was based off of and I taught it. So it was not a self teaching workbook. 

I had actually purchased the Derek Owens videos to begin with, and they were great, but my younger son never did them. My older son did them all the way through. I taught my younger son myself as a result. But I am a math lover so I enjoyed teaching it. I guess I just assumed OP wanted to teach the subject and only wanted the workbook to make it so that the student could do the assignments from a workbook.

Edited by Janeway
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Janeway said:

I used to teach math and I bought the textbook that it was based off of and I taught it. So it was not a self teaching workbook. 

I had actually purchased the Derek Owens videos to begin with, and they were great, but my younger son never did them. My older son did them all the way through. I taught my younger son myself as a result. But I am a math lover so I enjoyed teaching it. I guess I just assumed OP wanted to teach the subject and only wanted the workbook to make it so that the student could do the assignments from a workbook.

You're right, I have been and would be doing the teaching.  I was just curious how you used it without access to the videos.  It's an interesting idea, because DO's problem sets are excellent and he gives a decent amount of space to work the problems.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EKS said:

You're right, I have been and would be doing the teaching.  I was just curious how you used it without access to the videos.  It's an interesting idea, because DO's problem sets are excellent and he gives a decent amount of space to work the problems.

The workbook lines up almost exactly with the textbook including many of his examples for the notes being the same or almost the same. I liked it so much that I plan to do it that way again.

• Like 1