Menu

Is Osmo for iPad worth it?

Epicurean

The Osmo Genius Kit is almost $100, and the reviews seem to be mixed. Some say it’s fantastic, while others say it’s a great idea that was poorly executed. For those of you who have Osmo, what are your thoughts? Has it been a valuable learning tool? Or is it just something fun that has not had lasting educational benefits? Or was it so glitchy that it didn’t really work at all?

I’d be buying it for my five year old, if it matters. Thanks!

Edited by Epicurean

I don't think I would buy it peronally. I would rather use the money to get Wedo or Ozobot. I don't need an app based learning system for the types of activities they are using it for. Tangrams are cheap and tons of them are available for free. Loads of reading and early math apps out there for free or more expensive ones at $3-5 each.

19 minutes ago, calbear said:

I don't think I would buy it peronally. I would rather use the money to get Wedo or Ozobot. I don't need an app based learning system for the types of activities they are using it for. Tangrams are cheap and tons of them are available for free. Loads of reading and early math apps out there for free or more expensive ones at $3-5 each.

Thanks! What draws me to Osmo is the integration of an app with hands-on learning—they see the problem, then they have to sort through the physical tiles to find the correct ones to complete an addition problem or put a word together. I feel that it would reinforce what is being learned more than a screen alone. 

Wedo and Ozobot look neat, thanks for the recommendations. They’re both for kids ages 8+ though, so I’m looking for something aimed at a younger crowd. 🙂

We had one, but it barely got used. I think DD was 5 when we bought it, and 8 when I sold it. It wasn’t glitchy; it simply wasn’t very fun. The Newton and Masterpiece apps were good for a short while, and she liked the tangrams app even though it was really finicky, but the other apps held no real interest for her. We definitely didn’t get $100 worth of benefit out of it.

For us, we simply keep learning apps /tech as extra "dessert" fun. I prefer reading and math skills to be done physically with physical manipualtives or books. I don't marry the two and don't really have any desire to do so for $100 when all these things can be done for far less. WeDo and Ozobot are 8+ for independent use. Both absolutely can be used much younger with parental support.

Edited by calbear

We got it as a gift, and we now have several of the additional games for it. The kids like it, but I don't particularly find it to be that educational. For me, I have told them they can play as a reward for finishing school, but then we realized the mirror attachment (which is needed for many of the games) doesn't fit when we have the protective cover on. And it's too difficult to remove the cover each time. So we haven't used it for along time now. Maybe I should sell it...