Menu

The ESL Teachers Lounge 5-8-2019

scrapbookbuzz

Hello and welcome to the Lounge! (Yes, I'm late again today. My apologies.)

Today's theme stems from the fact that I am interviewing with an online ESL company for a possible part-time job. 

Anyone here ever teach ESL? Here:  see above. It's looking promising!

if so, which company did you work for? Here: I'm interviewing with VIPKids.

If you could do your dream job remotely, what would that be/look like to you? Here: VIPKids may not be my dream job but it's pretty close!

Talk to me!

Hi ya, Scrap.  I started teaching ESL when I was 11 (grew up overseas).  None of my experience would help you since it was in another country.  😉  I did just lend some of my ESL materials to my neighbor and I really really really hope that I get it back.

I am considering teaching JSL  (which I just coined to mean Japanese as a Second Language) for pay.  I have taught that too in the past in this country but it was part of my own business in another state.  And it was not done remotely.  I had classes of up to 10 people come to my house. 

Yes, I have taught ESL for many years, both at the middle school and high school levels.  I have an MA in TESOL and am credentialed to teach ESL from Pre-K through community college.

I haven't done any of it online though, I have only taught in public schools.

Thanks for popping in Dawn and Jean! I love to hear of other people's adventures!

Now, I'm going to prepare some props and other materials for my two mock teaching classes coming up,
while "listening" to a tv show. Or some music. Haven't decided yet! 😉

8 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I guess the fall hours won’t change til the first week of November so I may still consider it. Also, I just read that sometimes the lunch time in China is a good time to get a booking (11am - 1 pm Beijing time). 

That is 12 hours difference for me.  Yikes!