Menu

No hot water! Help!

Long story short, we had to flip some breakers yesterday in the electrical box to find out what was wrong with a kitchen outlet. But, later in the day, we discovered that we didn't have any hot water.

We figured, "Ah...the water heater probably has its own breaker and -- with all that breaker-flipping -- we probably caused the water-heater to trip."

So, we looked at the water heater and found two panels (upper and lower). We removed the upper panel and, sure enough, there was a little red reset button. We pushed the button and went to bed. We did NOT put the panel back on in case we needed to do something more. (The lower panel had no buttons or breakers to reset.)

This morning we woke up and found that we still have no hot water. I've looked online and a couple of sites seem to imply that putting the panels back is important. Is there a pressure switch in the panel door that means the unit won't operate if the panel is open? (I find that hard to believe).

But, either way, we still have no hot water. We found some instructions online that say to press the reset button and then flip the breaker switch in the electrical box off and back on. It seems to me that's what caused the problem in the first place!

So, I'm frustrated. I won't know if this works for another 2 hours or so....so I thought I'd ask you guys to see if you could assist.

Thoughts?

Thank you!

Jessica

So, I'm frustrated. I won't know if this works for another 2 hours or so....so I thought I'd ask you guys to see if you could assist.

We had hot water heater problems several times over the course of the past spring. It's NOT fun!

Question: Is it an electric or gas fired water heater? If the latter (which does not sound likely) you may need to relight the pilot. If electric, I'd try Googling the model number and brand, or look for discussion boards for DIYers (homesteading, home construction, plumbing, something!), and see if you can find an answer that way. I figured out what was wrong with our refrigerator doing that not so long ago. Sadly, our problem required a repairman, but at least I knew what he should look for! :001_smile:

I'm probably too late, I hope it is working. I remember last month, ours went out and I went out to the garage with the long matches... No pilot light, it was electric:001_huh:

I was told to cut all power to the thing before we reset the button, then turn the power back on. Also, depending on the model, the temperature automatically readjusts itself to a much lower temperature to prevent accidental scalding (as opposed to the old ones that reset at a higher temperature, ensuring scalding).

Thank you all :) We gave up and called the repairman. He'll be here sometime after lunch. Oh well, while he's here he can work on the outlets that are out in the kitchen too. That's what started all this. Oh yea, I'll ask him how much he'll charge us to put up a new ceiling fan later too. Hey, it might be a good thing we've called him. Turns out we need quite a bit.

We are NOT the DIYers so many of you truly brilliant ladies are. Oh well!