Menu

False pregnancy for a dog

Storygirl

So, I took my dog to be spayed yesterday, and the vet called me to pick her back up, because Winnie is having a false pregnancy and cannot have surgery right now. Her mammary glands all produced milk when the vet tested for that.

Now that I have been told, I can see the signs for myself. I had noticed that she was saggy in her undercarriage, but she was recently shorn close and used to be super shaggy, so I thought perhaps it was just how she looked and I hadn't noticed previously, due to all of her hair. Now I recognize it as swollen mammary glands.

Winnie went through one heat cycle, starting at the end of January. She is just about to turn 11 months old.

I have to take her back in two weeks for the vet to evaluate and see if she can be spayed then. We are going on our summer vacation during the last week of May, and I'm hoping she can be done with her invisible babies quickly, so that we can have her spayed and recovered before we have to leave her with the in-laws for a week.

If you have experienced a false pregnancy with your pet, how did it go?

It was a long, long time ago. All I remember is that the poor little dog acted like she was trying to prepare a nest for birthing, and then she carried around her favorite stuffed toy and treated it like a puppy, including urging it to nurse.

I hope it passes quickly.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

When I was a kid, our neighbor's dog had a false pregnancy and was nesting in a closet. One of the kids tried to pet her and the dog bit the child in the face. It was totally out of character for the dog - just a weird behavior change brought on by the false pregnancy.

• Sad 2