Menu

AP Computer Science A

I have gotten conflicting advice about whether this exam is worth taking/preparing for.  My DS13 has taken both programming courses that AoPS offers, but those are in Python and my understanding is that the AP exam is in Java.  DS loves computer science and is eager to learn more, but it is not clear to me whether spending a year focusing on the AP exam is a good use of time.

Any thoughts?  In case it's not abundantly clear, computer science is SO not my area of expertise.

My kids took in 2017. It was a fun first AP exam for them. My kids spend Friday afternoons for the Edhesive course so it wasn’t taking much time on their schedules. DS14 did the AoPS Python courses for fun the summer before he took the Edhesive course but DS13 didn’t. DS13 wasn’t affected by not taking the python course.

Worth taking in terms of college applications? I don’t know and we didn’t factor that into account. Worth taking as a low pressure first AP exam, it was worth it because DS14’s AP Calculus BC Exam was eight days after and he was calm since he knew the AP exam test taking drill.

• Like 2

Your student won't learn much new computer science by taking the AP class, but he will learn the same computer science commands in a different language.  The AP CS A exam is easy and a good first AP exam to take, especially if you think he may take more APs in the future.  But there are other ways he can show achievement in computer science:  hackerrank, usaco, robotics, IoT, Arduino, his own projects.  

• Like 2

On 4/12/2019 at 9:57 PM, daijobu said:

Your student won't learn much new computer science by taking the AP class, but he will learn the same computer science commands in a different language.  The AP CS A exam is easy and a good first AP exam to take, especially if you think he may take more APs in the future.  But there are other ways he can show achievement in computer science:  hackerrank, usaco, robotics, IoT, Arduino, his own projects.  

This is very helpful, thank you!