Menu

Standardized Testing

silver

I'm in a state that requires testing for homeschool students. I figure that if we have to take the time and money to test, I may as well choose one that gives me useful information. I've found something workable for me for elementary years, but I'm having trouble finding something for accelerated learners in middle school.

My oldest did the MAP test this year. I thought that since it was adaptive and I was able to find the norms that it could be useful. When he took it, I saw some of the questions it gave him. They were definitely high school level math and reading questions that he was getting tested on, and his score is near the ceiling of what I've read the test can accurately measure. So I'm thinking this may not be a useful one to do next year.

I'm debating having him do the SAT, figuring that an out of level test might be more useful. We're not interested in talent search or GT programs. How does a middle schooler with no photo ID take the SAT? Are score reports useful? Are they still useful if it is taken on the young side by someone not profoundly gifted? He'll be studying geometry next year, if that makes a difference.

Are there other standardized tests that I should look into?

2 minutes ago, silver said:

How does a middle schooler with no photo ID take the SAT?

My kids used their passports as photo ID as they have their passports anyway. A photo ID is not required for under 13 but some school “gatekeepers” are unaware and we don’t want to waste time arguing.

SAT registration instructions for under 13 

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/by-mail

ACT registration instructions for under 13

https://forms.act.org/student/stud_req.html

• Like 1

My state also requires an annual standardized test - to count here SAT and ACT need to include essay, so check your state requirements. Registering for the SAT was annoying: I ended up having to call the College Board to request a packet to register by mail. But the packet came quickly and it was straightforward after that. We also had him take his passport on test day just in case. I had him line up himself, but apparently they asked him where his parent was. ??

There were talent search students taking the exam who were put in a separate room, but my child was put with the high school kids because of the essay.

My understanding is that unless you request that they keep the scores, SAT scores from students under 13 are not kept in the permanent record. I think ACT scores are kept no matter what the age, but check to be sure.

He did well enough that we are planning to keep his scores, but now I'm wondering if taking the test each year will somehow be problematic when he applies to college. And what if he slips and gets a lower score one year? So that is at least an imaginary issue with the SAT/ACT. 😂 

Have you done the Woodcock-Johnson achievement test? The only issue for high-achieving middle schoolers is that they can hit ceilings. Other than that, it's quick and informative.

• Like 1

My 12 year old took the ACT last year with no ID.  We did it through the Duke TIP program and the ACT paperwork comes with a paper that allows them to take the test without ID.  

ACT scores are kept.

That said we just got state IDs from DMV for my kids to be able to take community college classes and it was very easy to do.

• Like 1