Menu

xPost: Testing through AoPS?

Gil

Has anyone come up with their own intra-text tests for any of the AoPS textbooks that they're willing to share or sell?

Is it possible to test through AoPS by maybe doing the star questions in each chapter until you find yourself having to slow down and read the chapter for insight into how to attack the problem?

And if not, can anyone suggest a more appropriate way to accelerate to a good "starting point" within a text for a student who is already familiar with many of the topics?

I see no pitfalls to this in a homeschool environment with a parent who understands math. If you realize you needed something from an earlier chapter you can always go back and work on it then. 

For some highly talented students I have actually seen some impressive results from diving in headfirst to something where they were NOT prepared but highly motivated and learning the prerequisites on-the-fly. 

Edit: I don't know if your boys enjoy actual competition, but it might be fun to work on the starred problems for each chapter individually in a timed manner, then compare. I know I would've found it fun as a kid UNLESS I lost all the time or creamed my partner all of the time. 

MAN, I wish AOPS had been around then. It would have been SO perfect for me. 

Edited by kiana

7 hours ago, Gil said:

Has anyone come up with their own intra-text tests for any of the AoPS textbooks that they're willing to share or sell?

Is it possible to test through AoPS by maybe doing the star questions in each chapter until you find yourself having to slow down and read the chapter for insight into how to attack the problem?

And if not, can anyone suggest a more appropriate way to accelerate to a good "starting point" within a text for a student who is already familiar with many of the topics?

Are you trying to determine placement within a textbook for your student?  What I would do is have the student complete the end of chapter Review and possibly the Challenge Problems.  If your student can complete most of the Review Problems, then you can consider that chapter mastered.  If there are some problems your student doesn't know how to solve, then return to those sections for study.  The Challenge Problems are fairly optional,  and a bit beyond mastery, so I wouldn't sweat it if they can't do the Challenge Problems.  I might however, review the solutions so they get accustomed to the AoPS way of doing things.  

• Like 1

Gil, I would have your boys just do the starred problems in each chapter, until they can't do them. Then as you say, back up and read that chapter.  They have covered all this content through more traditional books, and I'm guessing will enjoy applying their knowledge to the tougher problems.

I also think you may want to reword your question.  Your kids have finished beyond Calculus, right.  So it sounds like you are looking for a way to embrace the complexity of the best of AoPS, not actually to test their knowledge with tests. 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1