Menu

For those of you who do Lively Latin

runningirl71

What is your sequence? What will you do after finishing Lively Latin Big Book 2?

I had planned to only do LL BB1 and then go right into Henle I. Dd is in 5th grade and already knows quite a bit in unit 1 of Henle. I wanted to use Henle for jr. high/high school as this is the program I'm using for self study.

BUT, Dd expressed to me this week that she really enjoys Lively Latin and would rather go into Big Book 2 rather than start Henle I. So, for those of you planning on doing this, what is after BB2 for you?

Our Latin sequence:

First half of 2nd grade: Song School Latin

Middle 2nd to middle 3rd: Lively Latin 1

Middle 3rd to middle 4th: Lively Latin 2 and Lingua Latina 1

Middle 4th - 5th: So You Really Want to Learn Latin 1 and Lingua Latina 1

6th - middle 7th: So You Really Want to Learn Latin 2 and finish Lingua Latina 1, begin Lingua Latina 2

Middle 7th - 8th: So You Really Want to Learn Latin 3 and Lingua Latina 2

High school - complete Lingua Latina 2 (no credit)

If a child wants to earn high school credit for Latin we will discuss options during 8th grade.

The grades are approximate as each child works at his/her own pace.

What is your sequence? What will you do after finishing Lively Latin Big Book 2?
We're moving to Latin Prep. Much of LP1 will be review, but it's my understanding the program picks up quickly with LP2, so we'll be doing the whole program. Because of her young age and my desire to keep lessons short, I'll probably be supplementing with at least one other program with an aim to expanding vocabulary rather than moving quickly into more complex grammar (which will necessitate more exercises and more time). I'm presently considering Lingua Latina (Orberg) and Cambridge Latin.

Ms Drown has only just released Lesson 4 of LL2, so I wouldn't plan on moving quickly through LL2. However, LL2 is more substantial than LL1, and the lessons are running about twice as long. Already in LL2 Ms Drown has introduced: the 2nd conjugation; and covered the accusative case, genitive of possession, and the dative of indirect object. New vocabulary is being introduced every lesson now as well. It's quite a change of pace. :)

So if I understand right - the Big Book 2 of Lively Latin is not completely done? I was under the impression that it was........I'm confused...........
No, it's not finished; however, it is available for sale (online only). She's releasing BB2 in a similar manner to BB1 -- a chapter at a time as it's completed. Audio files and games are posted at the same time as the text. FWIW, I'm very more than satisfied with what I've seen so far.

Song School Latin - 2nd grade

Lively Latin -3rd /4thgrade

Lively Latin 2- 5th grade

Depending on the child , it's either Latin Prep 1 for 6th grade , then Latin Alive 1, 2, 3 (for 7, 8, 9)or Latin Alive 1 for 6th

Then 7th, 8th, - Latin Alive 2, 3

High School will be online classes

No, it's not finished; however, it is available for sale (online only). She's releasing BB2 in a similar manner to BB1 -- a chapter at a time as it's completed. Audio files and games are posted at the same time as the text. FWIW, I'm very more than satisfied with what I've seen so far.

I like LL as well. It seems to be thorough, taught at the appropriate level with things like crosswords mixed in to give variety. I am concerned about moving on to BB2, though, mainly b/c it isn't finished. We stopped doing the history component of the program as we are going to pick it up next year during our ancients study. So, my question is, does it still move slower if not doing the history component? We will be finishing up BB1 next month and will need to start a new program come January.

Moira, how long is it taking you to complete just the Latin part of each lesson? I realize my dd is 11, which might make a difference, I don't know.

Also, would adding something like Ecce Romani be a good choice since LL is a grammar based program? I would like dd to get started on reading too.

Thoughts anyone?:)

I am concerned about moving on to BB2, though, mainly b/c it isn't finished.
I would email Ms Drown. Lessons have been coming out very slowly, partly, if I understand correctly, because she was very busy with curriculum fairs, etc. over the summer. New lessons have been closer to 2 months apart than 2 weeks.

We stopped doing the history component of the program as we are going to pick it up next year during our ancients study. So, my question is, does it still move slower if not doing the history component?
So far the history component doesn't seem to have increased in proportion to the rest of the program.

Moira, how long is it taking you to complete just the Latin part of each lesson? I realize my dd is 11, which might make a difference, I don't know.
We've been taking it *very* slowly, but only because we're in a position that not all the lessons are yet available. More than half our Latin time is spent orally making and translating silly sentences in lieu of straight flashcard work. I'd estimate that if you're spending the same amount of time on Latin as with BB1, that BB2 lessons will take half again to twice as long. There are more exercises and longer translations.

Also, would adding something like Ecce Romani be a good choice since LL is a grammar based program? I would like dd to get started on reading too.
I think working slowly through Ecce Romani or Lingua Latina would be a great option, especially given your DD's age. Edited by nmoira
typo