Menu

Overseas travel and a lost wallet

swimmermom3

Our youngest (Sailordude) is in the Dominican Republic for spring break. We received a call at 6:30 this morning to inform us that he had lost his wallet probably from the back of a motorcycle (eye roll emoticon).  That's his driver's license, 2 debit cards and a new credit card. We've told him to contact all parties. I am not sure what else to tell him at this point.

Any suggestions for those of you that have been there, done that?  He still has his passport, thankfully.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Does he need his credit card? I have lost my bag (wallet and passport) in the US way before relocating here. My bank was able to overnight me a replacement credit card (VISA) to my hotel and allowed me to call collect international to activate the card.

ETA:

I was able to do my hotel check-in using the replacement credit card number my bank provided while waiting for my replacement credit card to arrive. 

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 2

The drivers license he will replace after returning home. The 2 Debit Cards and the Credit Card should be cancelled immediately, if they haven't already been cancelled.  Be thankful that he has his Passport. That is the most difficult in a situation like that.  

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Does he need his credit card? I have lost my bag (wallet and passport) in the US way before relocating here. My bank was able to overnight me a replacement credit card (VISA) to my hotel and allowed me to call collect international to activate the card.

ETA:

I was able to do my hotel check-in using the replacement credit card number my bank provided while waiting for my replacement credit card to arrive. 

Thank you for this info.  The banks told him the replacement cards wouldn't reach him before he came home on the 17th. I am still questioning this, but our contact with him is spotty.

I spent a nerve-racking afternoon waiting to hear from him with no joy. Eight hours after the initial call, dh was finally able to get a hold of Sailordude.

When he was still at home, he traveled with us using Airbnb. When he went to college across country, he started using Airbnb to visit places like New York City. We told him that it was really important to follow the rules and to do good reviews in order to build his own reputation, especially since he was 18 at the time. He used Airbnb in South America while he was studying abroad and used it again for his trip to the Dominican Republic.  So...apparently his American hosts along the Haitian border in a rural area are keeping him longer than his original one night stay. I hope this is all okay, and if it is, I am eternally grateful to them. One of the hosts works for an NGO along the border  trying to bring clean water to communities and Sailordude will probably go along to work with them tomorrow. He sent a picture of sunset along a spectacular beach. 

I know self-sufficiency and a love for adventure are some of the things we tried to teach him with homeschooling, but heck, it is really anxiety-producing for this mom. We will be talking about sharing complete itineraries with someone before he leaves the country next time. And I am fairly sure there will be lots of "next-times."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Lanny said:

The drivers license he will replace after returning home. The 2 Debit Cards and the Credit Card should be cancelled immediately, if they haven't already been cancelled.  Be thankful that he has his Passport. That is the most difficult in a situation like that.  

Yes, I am totally grateful that he has his passport and that someone has kindly taken him under their wing.

Lanny, are you still in South America? Do I have that right?

Lanny is correct. Your son  is learning a valuable lesson right now. In the future he should carry photocopies of all his documents in a separate bag to make contacting authorities easier. In some cases a copy of a DL is enough to legally drive and a copy of a passport makes getting an emergency one so much easier. This has always been my worry when my kids started traveling by themselves. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1