Menu

Foerster's Precalculus with Trigonometry - which components to purchase?

We used this last year and here is what I ordered

Text: 1-55953-788-4

Solutions manual....absolutely essential. 1-55953-792-2

Instructors Guide: 1-55953-790-6

Instructors Resource cd no isbn on it.

I really used all of these items. The resource cd has all the word and pdf versions of the written tests and answer keys for the text. It offers multiple tests per chapter and two versions of each of those. My umbrella school requires proof of testing so this made my life much easier than writing up my own tests (which I'm having to do this year)

Also, the cd has all the calculator downloadable programs on it, which is convenient. I am pretty sure that I purchased the instructors cd as part of a bundle that included the Instructors Guide. It was not a big difference in price as I recall.

I found the Instructors Guide to be very helpful as well because it provides and overview of each section, points out common problems, tells you which problems to assign and which ones they may have real trouble with.

Got to dash,

HTH

my dd is taking this course online so I thought we'd need only the textbook and we'd be all set. WRONG. The back of the book has odd-numbered answers, and her teacher seems to assign more even numbered problems than odd. So - yesterday I ordered the Solutions Manual from Key Press:glare:

Looking at their website all their products look like they would be helpful! In fact I asked my dd if she wanted to do Calculus at home with the DVD's next year, but she wants a real teacher she can ask real questions :)

Based on the description on the website and Sharon's info I think this is what she bought. One of the ISBN's was a little different. I'm needing to order this soon as well. I was able to get the text cheap on ebay but the used instructor's materials that I could find cost more than the new. You will need a calculator. Sharon recommended these below. I'm copying it from a previous thread because I don't have time to figure out how to link it. Thanks Sharon!

<You need at TI-83 or 84 for the course. I'd go for the 84 silver plus edition. There are even things that you download into the calculator from the publisher's website for the course. (this saves much frustration in typing in long lists of data.) Don't buy a TI-89 for the course. I bought one as a second calculator and you can't download the stuff to it because it isn't compatible with the format. I also think it is harder to use in some ways. It is really too advanced. These applications are among the things that push this course up in my estimation. It's really cool.

>

Precalculus with Trigonometry: Concepts and Applications (Second Edition)

Student Textbook

ISBN: 978-1-55953-788-9 | 848 pp. | Hardcover

$78.95

Solutions Manual

ISBN: 978-1-55953-792-6 | 221 pp. | Softcover

$48.95

Instructor's Guide with CD

ISBN: 978-1-55953-790-2 | 324 pp. | Softcover/CD

$73.95

Some people have strongly recommended the teacher's manual. In our case, it's ok if dd takes more than a year to do this (she's young) and she does better working more problems rather than fewer, so I don't need the teachers manual to tell me what to skip. (She skips similar problems when she can demonstrate she understands the concept and is bored.) There is a chapter review and "test" at the end of each chapter. Because we don't do a lot of formal testing, I didn't bother with purchasing tests.

What you need will depend on how you school.

Ruth,

Thanks for sharing this. I was tempted to go without the instructor's guide. I may try it-it can always be ordered later. Do you have access online to the downloadable material that is on the instructors CD? The website says that the instructor does- I just wondered if buying the solutions manual was enough to get access to that material. I'm particularly interested in the calculator downloads.

Thanks,

Kendall

Ruth,

Thanks for sharing this. I was tempted to go without the instructor's guide. I may try it-it can always be ordered later. Do you have access online to the downloadable material that is on the instructors CD? The website says that the instructor does- I just wondered if buying the solutions manual was enough to get access to that material. I'm particularly interested in the calculator downloads.

Thanks,

Kendall

As math coach for my dd, I find the instructor's guide invaluable. It helps me decide what I need to emphasize and how long to allow to allow for each section -- I tended to be a section/day so without that info I'd be overloading her. The CD has math explorations which are helpful to make the math real.

HTH

~Moira