Menu

primary sources for Arabic/Islamic science? (esp. pre-1600 or so)

I'm working through "The Nature of Life" with my older child (it is slow going -- it's a high school primary resource book, we pair-read; ours is the first edition) and there is a huge gap in the readings: they jump from Lucretius (ancient Rome) to Francis Bacon (16th century).  This is because there isn't anything from the Arabic/Islamic medieval sciences.  Do y'all know of any source for excerpts from Arab science in this time period?

The stuff I'm finding in Google searches is either articles summarizing the Arab sciences or primary sources that are too long/dense for us to tackle.  I'm hoping for chunks of 1 - 3 pages or so. 

Excerpts from ancient/pre-Renaissance non-Western natural philosophy would also be most appreciated.  

Thanks in advance!

Edited by serendipitous journey
adding link

OKBud, thanks so much!  That might be something my child would work through. 

You are right about long & dense primary sources!

The book you linked looks great for addressing our main goal, which is more important than the primariness of the sources: understanding and appreciating medieval Islamic work in the sciences.  🙂

ETA: It looks like I can get this through an interlibrary loan: it's on the way!

Edited by serendipitous journey

Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but what about  1001 Inventions (the children's version is mostly just pictures + captions, and the adult version has more details and explanations.)

Lost Islamic History (AlKhateeb) is another you may find useful. I bought the book after seeing quite a few of their facebook posts (very interesting history/science). Haven't read the book yet though. It's probably too much for a middle schooler, but you might find it useful.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, cintinative said:

I found those on Abebooks.com for a very reasonable price. 

• Like 2

On 3/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, cintinative said:

We have these!  🙂 

JHLWTM, you are right that one can find them used for a good price. 

• Like 1