Menu

Lanny or others: SS spousal benefit overseas?

Laura Corin

@Lanny do you have any experience of US SS spousal benefit overseas?  I've just realised that I may be eligible on retirement based on my American husband's contributions when he worked in the US (we now both live in Scotland).  I know that his benefit (and therefore my potential benefit) will be reduced for WEP. 

Are there any other barriers?  We already know that he has enough contributions for some SS for himself.  I believe that I might also be eligible for Survivor Benefits if he dies before I do (he's older by seven years and my family's women live long).

Thank you

• Like 1

I'm an American citizen living in the UK, and I get SS surviving child benefit while living here with no problems. I have a US bank account that the money is direct deposited into. Your husband might be able to set up an account on the SS webiste to see what your estimated benefit will be in the future. I tried to do it, but I no longer have a US address, which is required to set up the account. If you guys maintain a US address, he can try to do that.

• Like 3

Laura: I was about ready to reply to you, 3 1/2 hours ago, and either I clicked incorrectly or simultaneously to the beginning of the longest outage we have had with our ISP in nearly 22 months. Almost 2 hours but we are online again.

No experience with this and this is a very sore subject with my Wife because we have never lived in the USA. If both of you are U.S. Citizens  (I believe that you are, if my memory is correct)   and if you lived together (married) in the USA for more than 5 or 10 years, that makes it much easier for you.  If not, the regulations are much much much trickier and it would be very difficult for you to collect benefits.   

NOTE: Overseas Social Security recipients must file a Form 7162 or 7161, depending on which applies, normally every 2 years, or their benefit will be suspended. Ask me how I know that and what I was doing  this morning...

Yes, you can have your Social Security benefits Direct Deposited into a local (foreign) bank account, the FBU will tell  you which bank(s) they will send Direct Deposits to in your country,  but if you do, you will need God to help you, if it gets screwed up. I once contacted the office of one of my U.S. Senators to get help with an issue like that.  So, mine goes into a bank in the USA.  Many people here receive Social Security Direct Deposits, in a Colombian bank.   What I realized was that if we had an issue here that could be resolved if we lived in the USA, in 2 or 3 days (or less) from overseas it would probably take at least 2 or 3 months. Possibly much much longer.  

DO NOT use an address in the USA if you are an Overseas American.  That could really get you into hot water, with regard to a U.S. Federal Income Tax return and there are very strict laws, regarding Social Security recipients who do not live in the USA.  Also, very strict U.S. laws, regarding U.S. taxes and reporting of income.

I strongly suggest using an Online Tax Preparation service such as TaxACT or TurboTax, to do  your U.S. Federal tax returns.  

Note: Many Overseas Americans have trouble opening bank accounts in the USA. If you need to do that, the American Citizens Abroad has a tie-in for ACA member with the State Department Federal Credit Union. Very slick.  Many banks in the USA will not open accounts for Overseas Americans. Many banks overseas will not open accounts for Overseas Americans. Here in Colombia it is not a problem, but in many countries, it is a huge problem. The banks, understandably, want to avoid the paperwork hassle.  That has to do with "FATCA" and other U.S. reporting requirements.  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/corporations/foreign-account-tax-compliance-act-fatca

You will find complete information on the web pages of the ACS (American Citizen Services) in the U.S. Embassy in the country where you live. I think in your case that would be  in London.   Look for information about the FBU (Federal Benefits Unit)

• Like 1

Thanks, @Lanny. I'm not a US citizen. Husband and I were married in the US but lived there together for less than two years.  He subsequently worked for Citibank in Hong Kong and continued to pay SS during that time. He files US taxes each year but I do not, as I'm not a citizen and have never had a permanent Green Card. I have an SS number but only worked in the US for those two years. I'll look into the site you mentioned.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Thanks, @Lanny. I'm not a US citizen. Husband and I were married in the US but lived there together for less than two years.  He subsequently worked for Citibank in Hong Kong and continued to pay SS during that time. He files US taxes each year but I do not, as I'm not a citizen and have never had a permanent Green Card. I have an SS number but only worked in the US for those two years. I'll look into the site you mentioned.

Unless they have changed the U.S. law. you are, like my wife, in deep stuff...   I think if you had lived there for 5+ years as a Married couple, that you could get benefits living overseas, however, I also believe that would require you going to the USA every 6 months and spending 30+ days there each time, to receive benefits overseas.  It is complicated, so you need to check it out.  

17 minutes ago, Lanny said:

Unless they have changed the U.S. law. you are, like my wife, in deep stuff...   I think if you had lived there for 5+ years as a Married couple, that you could get benefits living overseas, however, I also believe that would require you going to the USA every 6 months and spending 30+ days there each time, to receive benefits overseas.  It is complicated, so you need to check it out.  

It looks as if the UK has an agreement with the US that means I am eligible as a British passport holderhttp://www.crevelingandcreveling.com/blog/what-expat-americans-foreign-spouses-need-know-about-social-security

• Like 3