Menu

Nuclear chemistry/physics fun reads

Hi folks.

I'm looking for book recommendations for intro nuclear chem/physics. 

I'm not after a textbook, necessarily. Something with humour or history would be great. This is more for interest than to tick any curriculum boxes.

My daughter (12) gets a tad frustrated when her chemistry texts touch on nuclear chem but say 'this is outside the scope of this program'. I'd love to hand her a good, fun, interesting read related to this.

All input is appreciated 🙂 

3 hours ago, chocolate-chip chooky said:

Hi folks.

I'm looking for book recommendations for intro nuclear chem/physics. 

I'm not after a textbook, necessarily. Something with humour or history would be great. This is more for interest than to tick any curriculum boxes.

My daughter (12) gets a tad frustrated when her chemistry texts touch on nuclear chem but say 'this is outside the scope of this program'. I'd love to hand her a good, fun, interesting read related to this.

All input is appreciated 🙂 

Hi CCC,

I responded on the High School board in case you didn't see it. 🙂

Dicentra

• Thanks 1

I enjoyed reading The Restless Atom: The Awakening of Nuclear Physics, by Alfred Romer.  It is the story of the scientists and experiments, both successes and failure, that lead to an understanding of nuclear physics.  It is an old book, 1960, but the steps and history remain the same.  The book leads the reader alongside many scientists as they experience the excitement, confusion, and joy involved with discovering something that was too small to see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Farrar said:

I was also going to recommend Physics of the Impossible. It's great. And you can read chapters individually, like articles, which is nice.

This is one of the recommendations that have already been ordered. It's great to also have your  👍

Unrelated to this thread, but I wanted to thank you for the recommendations a while back regarding Chinese history. Those comic books are an absolute winner. I'm quite hopeless at finding old threads, but I believe you were one of a couple of helpful people who pointed me towards those. Thank you 🌻

• Like 1