Menu

Accountability Thread 3/3 - 3/9

Good morning. First week in March, but I still feel Februaried frozen. I did some cleaning Friday and Saturday, but not enough. I have two more areas in one room to go through, then the rest of the house is waiting. 

In school related stuff, I have to come up with math for a few weeks. Think I might have a plan. Then I have revisions to look at today and some critique work to do.

• Like 1

DD6 what's to be able to read "Magic Treehouse" on her own, so she has asked to do phonics every day. So we are.

Every day she wants to read a page from MTH "Dinosaurs Before Dark". with me so I could help, when needed. 

Church was canceled due to weather. 

DH took the car. Wind chill is in the negative so we aren't going anywhere. 

We played games, read books together, Bible stories, memory verses and her calendar today. She also watched science shows.

Clean the place up. 

Finally make the roast. 

• Like 2

I'm posting tomorrow's plan tonight because the morning will be busy.

Plus, I'm instituting new rules because we keep getting later and later and we need a little structure and discipline around here. 

#1: TV goes off at 8am sharp! If you're in the middle of something, you'll have to loose your progress because its time to get the day started. (An alarm will go off at 8am so I don't have to be the bad guy and tell them to turn it off.) 

#2: if you ask me to eat any meals or snacks in the living room, you will loose screen privileges for the day. (This comes on the heels of a big bowl of cereal and milk dumped on the carpet, a pizza roll filling squished out onto the carpet, and a salsa bowl hit with a blanket that flung red salsa in a 4 foot streak on the carpet. I'm so done with food in the living room.)

#3: 30 minutes screen time will not happen before all schoolwork, exercise, and chores are done. If you are waiting for me to finish a subject with your sibling then doodle something, build a magna tile tower, build a Lego creation, read in your chapter book, get a drink or snack (keep it in the kitchen!) whatever but the answer to anything with a screen is "no". 

#4: if we have a morning appointment, you can bring along your independent work, but we will still do our regular lessons when we get home. We can take a hour break but we must do regular lessons unless you want to still be doing this year's schoolwork when you're 25. 😰 

It sounds harsh, but man, its necessary! Its chaotic around here! The kids were very agreeable, which tells me it is definitely too chaotic if they are happy with these new rules. 

So I have a dry erase board on the wall with tomorrow's plan so they are aware of what to expect:

Schedule for Monday, March 4:

-9am leave for 9:45 appointment *dress warmly and bring some work/reading to prevent boredom*

-1 hour lunch break

-1 hour language arts loop

-1 hour math

-1 hour science (we are starting our seeds so they don't consider this schoolwork 😄 )

-house cleaning chore

FREE TIME

Wish us luck! I'll try to post about how well it went (or how badly) tomorrow afternoon. 

• Like 1

Well the day hasn't worked out the way I planned.

Eye doctor then out to brunch and we decided to visit DD6 Great Grandma.

Currently playing old time Mario Bros. on an 80's Nintendo system.  Great Grandma loves the old video games she played with her grand and great grand kids.

DD6 did her calendar, weather,  Bible story, memory verse and she read to Great Grandma.

She also built legos with Daddy that they got at the Toy Store today. She also bought two more books to add to her collection.

Trip to Walmart for a new nail kit. I can't find mine anywhere. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I LOVE the TV off by 8am rule, and I am going to steal it.  We are very NOT morning people and we have to be up by 7 in order to get any sort of actual functional school work done, but it's still a struggle getting that tv off.  We have a minute timer, so I will just set the timer at 7 when they wake up and when it goes off, tv is done.  

And science-we need to start some seeds too 🙂

My younger 2 wake up between 6:40 and 7:30. They are still half asleep so they like to play video games or watch tv until they are awake enough for breakfast. If I say its time to turn it off, they are always "in the middle of something" and lobby for more time. Dd wakes up anywhere from 7:45 to 9:30, lol! Then she thinks she should get a turn with the tv because the boys did! 😣 Sometimes, I'd like to chuck that tv out the window!

• Like 1

So here's the update on how today went: 

We actually got out the door early and we were 15 minutes early for our appointment! I thanked them for cooperating and getting out the door without a fight. The kids noticed that breakfast was much more pleasant (and quick) without the tv distracting them! So two early wins! Yay!

We had time after our (shortened) appointment for morning meeting and math.

Lunch took a little longer than an hour and they were a little grumpy during language arts. Science also took longer than an hour. We were all worn out by that point, so I let them have their screen time and we did our weekly house cleaning chore after. 

We ran behind the rest of the evening so they got to bed later than I like but, oh well, its a work in progress and I'm content with what we accomplished today.

It was really the start of our days and a good routine that needed an overhaul because it really does set the tone for a good day or a bad day. We'll see how we do tomorrow!

Schedule for Tuesday:

-30 min morning meeting

-30 min read alouds

-1 hour language arts

-1 hour math

-30 minutes science

-1 hour lunch break

-after lunch: exercise, weekly chore, 15+ minutes piano practice

Free Time

7pm leave for activity

10pm bedtime

Edited by MrsRobinson
  • Like 1

It's Daddy/Daughter Day.

Before Dad gets up we will do Bible stories, memory verse, calendar, weather and have her do her writing. She will probably make me read "Magic Kitten". Maybe then I will have her read 1 page "Magic Treehouse".

Daddy will do science, games, arts and crafts plus anywhere she wants to go.

Mommy will clean.

• Like 2

Sorry you have a sickie on your hands, HSL! 

Yesterday was not as good as Monday but unrelated to the new rules. Lol. 

Today started off solid with the TV off at 8 and morning chores. But dh is home today, so of course, that throws everything out of whack for some unknown reason.  We are doing school lessons but are running behind. I am cooking lunch now while the kids have a break so lunch is really late for us, too. 

We have an appointment later this afternoon that we need to get ready for so that will take some time. 

Morning meeting ✔

language arts loop ✔

math- half done

science- not done yet

piano- not done yet

art- probably won't happen today

• Like 1

Good Afternoon, 

She did writing, math, practiced reading, Bible story, memory verse, calendar and weather.

She tried the demo of ETC online. She asked me to stop using Phonics Pathways.  She wants to use ETC online so she can do it herself. I said fine. They make it more interesting then I do.

I have been looking at curriculum for summer and next year. I asked her if she likes her Horizon Math and she likes it and would like to continue.  I'm also getting other math things to keep it fresh. She likes change.

She likes her cursive program, so we will keep it.

• Like 2

HSL, they have a free demo and with a link from Cathy Duffy's site to homeschool buy group thing its $35 for one student for one year.

It suppose to track her work and adjust to her needs and won't give her things she already knows.  

It comes with the added bonus of Mom not needing to help her. She wants to do a lot of things on her own now so this will help her with that.

• Like 2

Good morning! TV went off at 8 and we all got dressed and went to the doughnut shop! That was a fun treat for the kids. 😊 

We are home now and doing our afternoon chores early because we have another appointment this afternoon. We are house hunting, thus the reason for so many extra appointments lately.

I really really really want to do regular schoolwork today but I am thinking it may be more productive to set the kids up with some child led learning today. Dh and I were on the phone with the lender for 20 minutes a little bit ago and the lender is calling us back at a set appointment time this afternoon before we meet with our agent. It just sort of balloons and takes over the whole day. 

The toddler was recently given a giraffe themed gift and he's asked to find a video to learn about giraffes. Older ds is currently obsessed with sharks and dd is in a jewelry making frenzy. So I'm thinking I might just write a checklist on the dry erase board of some interest related things to do today. I'll have them make their own lunch and quiz each other on math facts. They could do some computer math games, too if they want. 

The neighbor kids are home today so my kids are wanting to play with them. I can't tell if they have the day off school or if they are sick. 😬 

• Like 1

Just got back from HS Co-op. We were in charge of P.E.. all age groups played outside. 

DD did Bible story, memory verse, books of the Bible, calendar, weather and her cursive writing page before we left.

She is having lunch now and relaxing. 

DH been having a toothache and went for a walk in appointment after dropping us off at home.

Please pray it go well for him. He has a men's conference he's going to tomorrow. I don't want him distracted or in pain during it.

Go to laundry mat. 

She needs to do phonics and read to me.

• Like 2

Posting now for tomorrow because its going to be busy again. 

Getting up and out the door in the morning for a medical appointment in the "big" city. Long drive so I'll bring independent school work for the big kids. I also ordered groceries to pick up while we are there. 2 weeks worth! So excited to not have to go grocery shopping for 2 weeks!

Family movie night tomorrow with pizza and popcorn and then crash! 

• Like 1

Morning. Revising all day. Boys are now out of grammar and math, so it's going to be a short day for them.  I need to see if they are closing in on History and Science, too. Turtles are flying these days. After quite a bit of grumbling in and around their birthday, they seem to be settling in to this year and doing well. Hope I don't upset their delicate balance when I emerge from the revision cave with new books for spring and summer.

• Like 1

We are back with a fully stocked kitchen! Woohoo! 

But I forgot ds needs allergy injections today. Boo! 

So we'll head in a bit out to get those done. I need a car wash anyway, so I'll check that off the list, too. 

The kids did all kinds of math on our road trip today. And reading chapter books. And snacking. Man, they can put away food! I always ate like a bird when I was growing up. I still do, kind of. 😄

• Like 1