Menu

So much for my first day of my new shift time

Night Elf

I'm on the management team at the thrift store. I posted that I recently reduced my hours from 40 to 30. Yesterday I worked only 5 hours but not my regular shift because I had to take ds to the dentist. Today was supposed to be my first day at working 12:00-6:00. I texted my manager last night to remind her about it and yes, she had forgotten. The third member of our management team won't be here today and due to a situation that may arise with an employee this morning, I have to be with the management when the employee is spoken to. I'm there for accountability. So I have no idea if I'll be there just long enough for that talk, then leave and come back at 12:00, or since I'm already there, I should go ahead and work my 8 hour day. Good grief! I don't think I could leave early again because the late afternoon is our busiest time and I don't want to leave my manager on the register when she needs to be around the store in the different departments and available to customers. I'm kind of bummed. I had plans for this morning. It's only cleaning house but I'm excited about getting back on my Flylady routine and today was going to be my first day.

I did tell my manager that even in my time off, I'm on call should she need me. I don't want to lose my management status. I just wish they'd give me a raise since my responsibilities have gone up. However, I asked for a raise in September and got one. I'm not comfortable asking for another raise so soon.

• Like 1

That sounds kinda frustrating! 

I know you didn't ask for advice but I'm going to give some, anyway hahaha (insert winky smileyface but I don't want to go giant). I think you can set a boundary around your time, as far as being on call, if you wish. I know you are nervous about losing your manager status, but honestly, I would look up that job description and see what parameters are expected. Is being on calI as much as you have said really a part of your job? I might also look at the salary for your position; it is ok to get paid what you are worth. 

I am sure you are an excellent asset to the store. Don't sell yourself short. (insert another smiley face!)

1 hour ago, Chris in VA said:

That sounds kinda frustrating! 

I know you didn't ask for advice but I'm going to give some, anyway hahaha (insert winky smileyface but I don't want to go giant). I think you can set a boundary around your time, as far as being on call, if you wish. I know you are nervous about losing your manager status, but honestly, I would look up that job description and see what parameters are expected. Is being on calI as much as you have said really a part of your job? I might also look at the salary for your position; it is ok to get paid what you are worth. 

I am sure you are an excellent asset to the store. Don't sell yourself short. (insert another smiley face!)

I don't know what to expect. We don't really have job descriptions. It's a very small non-profit organization. My job title is cashier although I do so much more. All employees did have to write out what their jobs entailed so maybe that information got put into the new policies and procedures manual which the Board has not yet approved as far as I know. 

I felt bad about reducing my hours because when I'm not there, they are pulling another employee from their job to cover mine. That can interfere with the running of the store. It's not a huge deal, unless I am the type of person to call out a lot, which I don't. The manager won't be at the store either Friday or Saturday but she said I could keep my new shift time on Friday, not coming in until noon. So that's good.

What I'm really missing is the first two hours the store is open. That may not sound like a lot but I want to be home rather than work because I have other responsibilities in my home that are falling behind. Also, it makes my day only 6 hours which is doable. 8 hours just seems so long!

• Like 2