Menu

Meals for after gall bladder surgery

Lady Florida.

Asking for meal suggestions to make for someone who had just their gall bladder removed. I signed up for a meal train and am trying to come up with two different meals. The surgery was today and my days for the meal train are this Friday and the middle of next week. When I did a search I mostly found how to change your diet after gall bladder removal though I was hoping to find more information about specific meals right after the surgery. I know fat, dairy and spicy foods should be avoided. As far as I know she is okay to go beyond clear liquids after tomorrow. 

I thought of either minestrone soup or a regular vegetable soup. Minestrone has beans - are beans okay? Our version of winter is basically over and our temperatures are back up to the 80s with lows in the 60s. I know not everyone can eat soup in hot weather but it seems like a good idea for my friend. Someone else on the meal train is bringing chicken soup this week so I don't want to repeat that. 

Her husband is somewhat picky and not good at cooking, but he told us not worry about him. Still, we're bringing meals to feed two. It's just the two of them as their daughter is away at college. 

That is so nice of you. I felt so much better after the surgery it was amazing - and I had crazy complications during the surgery.. I was making dinner for the family three nights post surgery; hope your friend has the same results. Keep it simple - pasta but not with a tomato sauce, roasted chicken and mashed potatoes and green beans, soup, or even a breakfast casserole would be fun. 

Depends how complicated the surgery was:

Uncomplicated laparoscopic cholecystectomy?  She'll be back to a full diet  in no time.  I'd cook whatever you know she likes.  The day after my gallbladder came out, I had a function to attend at a country club  and enjoyed the fancy meal.

Complicated, open laparotomy?  Bowels may be slow for a while - bland, easy to digest foods.

In general, my diet was much less restricted after my gallbladder came out than before.  Before surgery, the smallest amount of dietary fat would set off an attack.  After - I could eat anything without pain.  It was very liberating!