Menu

Singapore Standards 6 without a HIG

kristin0713

I'm pretty sure level six is just a review and consolidation of all the previous skills for kids to get ready in Singapore for their big exam which comes after level six. So it shouldn't be adding in any new concepts from five, only expanding and cementing them. That is why some homeschoolers have their kids go straight into PreAlegebra after 5th, while others decide to spend one extra year making sure those concepts are rock solid.

I felt much the same as you regarding the HIG. My daughter is strong in math but not advanced. I am heavily reliant on the HIG. We have gone slowly through Singapore since 4A and are just about through with 6B in a timeframe of 4 schiol years. We use textbook, workbook, extra practice, and test books. (We school 4 days a week and do take summer off.) I decided to stick with level 6 and buy the teacher’s guide. After adjusting to the “math teacher” jargon, I have found the teacher’s guide to be a good replacement for lack of a Level 6 HIG. As mentioned before it does have answer keys. It also includes Mental Math and Problem Solving exercises for each  unit. I think it is money well spent, but I do have another child to use it with as well. 

• Like 2

Well there is the answer key for $10. So I could just get that. From looking at the scope and sequence chart, it looks like there is new material in 6 in the Standards edition. I do think he could use a year of solidifying skills and I’m planning on getting him AOPS for 7th. I’m just wondering if there are new strategies for mental math and concepts that I’d be missing if I don’t get the teacher’s guide.