Menu

Get 'Er Done Biology

Looking for a biology course that ds could work through mostly on his own or online asynchronously. Really just need a get 'er done course as his focus is on physics and more engineering type courses. He hates the idea of bio (as do I), and we just need to get it done!

Thinkwell?

Acellus/Power Homeschool?

Plato?

Edited by shburks

Paradigm? It's super basic and he sounds like it may be too easy for him...and it's maybe a little wordy but it's quick and easy....

If he's smart and a good student, he can just read through a public school text, take notes and answer all the end of section and end of chapter study guides...the old textbooks from the early 2000s were set up that way, if you can find them.  You can order just some kind of basic Bio lab kit and he can just work through that separately so you have a lab credit.  ...QSL is a separate course that's not tied to the book, my dd used it and the QSL kit we have is way overkill for someone not into biology (fetal pig and all) but maybe they have other kits...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Calming Tea said:

Paradigm? It's super basic and he sounds like it may be too easy for him...and it's maybe a little wordy but it's quick and easy....

If he's smart and a good student, he can just read through a public school text, take notes and answer all the end of section and end of chapter study guides...the old textbooks from the early 2000s were set up that way, if you can find them.  You can order just some kind of basic Bio lab kit and he can just work through that separately so you have a lab credit.  ...QSL is a separate course that's not tied to the book, my dd used it and the QSL kit we have is way overkill for someone not into biology (fetal pig and all) but maybe they have other kits...

Thanks! I thought about that--just having him read the textbook and do notes, end of chapter, etc. I'll take a look at Paradigm, too. That isn't one I'm familiar with. 

• Like 1

If you prefer a secular text, the Prentice Hall Biology by Miller and Levine is excellent. There are questions at the end of each chapter.  These videos go with the first half of the book: https://www.youtube.com/user/MrDBioCFC/playlists  

To go with the Apologia text, you might like the free, at-your-own-pace biology course at http://www.virtualhomeschoolgroup.org/.  There are recorded voice threads that explain the material, online quizzes, and online tests, which seem to be fairly easy for a student who does the reading.  There are some flow charts and power point note-taking pages, too. 

FWIW, we use the labs, reviews, and tests that come with the textbook, but if you really want minimal work, perhaps the online material could suffice.  My dc watches/listens to the lectures, and because of the interest generated with that, doing the reading afterward doesn't seem dry.  Dc really likes the lady giving the lectures.  There are some spelling errors in her written material, but it hasn't been a problem.  I'm just thrilled dc is enjoying biology.

• Like 1