Menu

Help...10th Grade

Hello,

I think I am bringing home my 10th grade son. It's been an awful year for him, diagnosed with Bipolar 2, hospital for a week, then home and has been attending school off and on. The last couple of weeks it's more "off" than on, and I think he'd do better with a break and some different surroundings for at least a while. I'd like to do some academic work with him, but nothing too strenuous or that's going to cause friction between us as we figure all of this out. 

I have TT Geometry workbook that I could use (he's supposed to be in Geometry) without the computer - we'd do it together though I suspect he could easily do it alone. I know it's "light" but it might be enough for now....

Any other suggestions? 

I am a little desperate to help him turn the corner, so please be gentle.

Do things need to be not on the computer?

Can he just read for English for now? Maybe pick a couple of books that are worthy of being literature but will connect with him? Don't worry about anything but reading. Or even do film as literature? Watch a bunch of classic films. Just leave it for a month or so while you settle.

For history and science... maybe an online option? Maybe even just Khan for history? Maybe a Great Courses series? Actually, that's probably what I'd do for now - a Great Courses series for both history and science. Call the science conceptual and don't worry about it not being a lab. Let it be more of an elective. The history you can add more for later and along with whatever he did at school, you can call it a credit.

• Like 3

Going to agree with EKS, TT is just fine, truly. I will never understand the bad rap it gets.

What other sorts of classes has he been taking? I'd probably look at continuing those in some way using a format that he will cooperate with. For example, World History that is heavy on videos and perhaps reading, if he would do that. Maybe some sort of immersion experience for foreign language, like watching entertaining videos in the language with perhaps simple workbooks. If he needs a fine arts or health class to fulfill a requirement, find a simple way to do that subject matter. Maybe a lab kit for science.

My oldest had mental health issues, so I completely understand the challenges. Working on the mental health would, far and away, be my first priority. In the end, there are lots of ways to finish up high school.

• Like 2