Menu

I need math advice

My dd is in 7th grade and doing Saxon Algebra 1 with the integrated Geometry.  She is doing well, is very smart, but this is the first time she has had to work hard to learn something.  (Just being honest here.)  This is challenging for her. She prefers writing, history, and reading, so this is not her favorite subject.  She is irritated with the subject, partly because she just doesn't find it interesting (how do you top the beheading of Marie?) and partly because she has to put forth extra effort to learn the material. 

I am torn between pushing her through and changing things. I would add a year of geometry next year to change things up for her, and then go to Algebra 2 her freshman year. If I go this route, I will have to use a different publisher, mostly because I haven't heard good things about the Saxon books that don't include the integrated geometry.  

This is our second year of her really despising math.  I feel for her, and don't want her to hate it like she does. Plus I am personally finding it exhausting. She finishes it in about an hour per day and is getting an A, though she is starting to struggle a little more with the information. 

I would love some feedback and/or advice.  My oldest loves math and loves Saxon.  She is doing Algebra 2 with integrated Geometry and does very well. So this is new territory for me. They are all different, yes? lol

Is it an option to try a different curriculum? We've never used Saxon, but I've heard it can be on the boring side. A good curriculum but dull. We switched to Teaching Textbooks this year and so far both boys have loved it. They have a free trial option for their online program that gives you enough lessons to see if you like it. The Algebra I doesn't have integrated geometry though. We were Life of Fred people before TT. Liked it quite a bit (more than I anticipated really) but it became a little frustrating for both boys so we switched. Or maybe take a break from Saxon for a bit and use Khan for a free daily math lesson?

My kids love and use Saxon math as our spine math program.  Your Dd is just in 7th grade.  When I had the same thing- a kid in 7th grade ready fir Algebra 1 while in the middle of hormonal changes, we decided to have 7th grade be a total review year.   We did Saxon Al1/2, and it was all review!  No teaching needed from me, 20 questions per day, the goal was to keep her current msth skills while learning yo deal with her body snd moodiness 😉 It was a great decision, and one I would encourage!   We also used Crocodiles and Coconuts and Chuckles thd Rocket Dog.  Basically thd whole year was spent just looking at math on other wsys, snd practicing skills she'd already learned.  She's now in 10th grade, on the last Saxon book.  She will still have time for college DE math, or fun courses lije statistics. 

That would have been a great idea! I wish I would have thought of that. But she did Alg 1/2 last year, and now we are nearing the end of 7th grade and Algebra 1.  Maybe I could just slow her down, and not try to finish it all this year...to give her some rest, but still keep moving forward.  ?

I do not want to change math curriculum.  I am not comfortable with completely switching gears at this point.  

My dd used Saxon 8/7 in 6th and then Saxon 1 in 7th grade (after many successful years with CLE) and that went fine, but she got bogged down in Saxon’s algebra II the next year.  She switched to Derek Owen’s algebra II and did really well with that. We returned to Saxon Advanced Math thinking I just needed to be more involved with checking her work and, again, she got bogged down and we switched back to DO for Prealculus and Calculus AB.  I did the self-grading option with DO for algebra 2 and precalculus (which I believe he offers for half price).  That way, I could correct her work right away and give her instant feedback, as well make it more affordable. 

ETA: I just saw you don’t want to switch, so my comments may not be relevant now, but something to consider if your dd continues to have trouble with Saxon.  My dd never had any trouble with math until Saxon II. 

Edited by Mom0012
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I guess you would need geometry, but if I am remembering correctly, DO’s geometry is the one course people have trouble with.  Hopefully, someone else will comment on that.

My dd had pretty much finished Saxon algebra II when we moved on to DO algebra II.  She found his explanations eye-opening and understood things much better after going through his algebra II, which she did in a couple of months.  Then she did a chunk of Saxon advanced math before switching back to DO precalculus.  I can’t remember if it was 20 or 40 lessons. So, she did not do another complete geometry program because she had already covered most of it with Saxon.  I had Teaching Textbooks Geometry on hand and we used that to cover the topics that she had not hit in Saxon.  I do like TT Geometry.

My dd did not take the calculus AB exam.  She ran through Khan Academy for further practice and then took the CLEP test so she could take calculus 2 at CC.  Then, she decided to take a statistics class instead and is now self-studying for the calculus BC exam, which I suspect she will do well on.  Just sharing this info to be transparent.  DO was a much better fit for my dd, but she still needed extra practice to solidify the material after his calculus class.  Every kid is different and some do great without any extra practice.  There was plenty of practice for her in his precalculus, but his problem sets are lighter, I believe, in his algebra II and calculus classes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1