Menu

Apps for preschool and kindergarten

Janeway

My 3 yr old keeps begging to play Minecraft. I used parental controls to shut down Minecraft during daytime hours, but when looking over the ipads, I realize all my apps for his age are more of toddler apps. I have things like Toca Trains and Toca House and such..and then Star Fall which I think is plenty good for his age but he is bored with as he has already played it a lot. Any suggestions for other apps for his age? And for 4 yr old too? Thanks! 

I like starfall too, but wish it was guided. I also like THIS READING MAMA apps, and the free Phonograms app from All about learning press. I think there are some good reviews on toddler/preschool apps if you google it. Endless alphabet is good too I hear. Im sure anything they like and will keep their attention is going to be fine!

• 3 months later...
  • Lego Builder.
  • Minecraft on her kindle, just her in the world and in creative.
  • Lego Friends driving one. I know it's for girls but I think both genders would find it fun.
  • Coloring book and puzzle apps.
  • We love Dr. Panda games!
  • Poptropica is great. Not an app but still great.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm not a parent doing homeschooling (yet!) but I tried to do something to help homeschoolers who want their kids to learn to read early on; namely I developed a simple web-app available free at sharpkids.online (with some ads below). I will probably add some math workouts and maybe other things later on like possibly a restricted area for paying customers. Anyone interested in giving it a try and maybe giving me some feedback?

In the app the kid just needs to click the words to hear them spoken out. You can also see simple pixel graphics related to the word (or phrase). Also included is a recognition mode in which you have to click the right word based on the spoken word...

• Like 1