Menu

Good book on early martyrs

Ema

Anyone know of a good book on early Christian martyrs for mid-upper elementary? Non-fiction preferred. I know there is an entry on Perpetua and Felicity and maybe a few others in the Loyola Kids Book of Saints, but am looking more for one on just martyrs. Thanks!

Trial and Triumph -- not all are martyrs, and not just the early church, but this book has short bios of 46 men and women of the Church throughout the centuries, from Polycarp in the early days of the Church, to 20th century Christians such as Richard Wurmbrandt and CS Lewis.

Loyola Kids Book of Heroes: Stories of Catholic Heroes and Saints Throughout History -- also not just martyrs and not just early Church. Or what about the free online resource of the daily Saints Stories For All Ages from Loyola Press?

ETA -- oops! Disregard that second recommendation -- in re-reading your post, I see you already have considered this possibility and are looking for something different.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

Here is Fox's Book of Martyrs (free, read online). Chapters 1-2 are about early martyrs (up to about 300AD). Chapter 3 is about early martyrs in Persia (roughly 300-1000AD). Rather a dry "checklist" of names/dates for the early chapters, and written in older (19th century) language/sentence structure, which may be tougher for younger children to follow.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Trial and Triumph -- not all are martyrs, and not just the early church, but this book has short bios of 46 men and women of the Church throughout the centuries, from Polycarp in the early days of the Church, to 20th century Christians such as Richard Wurmbrandt and CS Lewis.

Loyola Kids Book of Heroes: Stories of Catholic Heroes and Saints Throughout History -- also not just martyrs and not just early Church. Or what about the free online resource of the daily Saints Stories For All Ages from Loyola Press?

ETA -- oops! Disregard that second recommendation -- in re-reading your post, I see you already have considered this possibility and are looking for something different.

I was also going to say Trials and Triumph. I really like that one. 

• Like 1