Menu

Latin Class like Schole Academy but not religious?

I am looking for an option to outsource my oldest dd’s Latin next year.  She will be in fifth grade.  She has done latin for several years, playing around with several different curricula.  She is super social, so I had decided on Schole Academy, which has face-to-face video class with the teacher and other students—but our charter school that funds our homeschooling won’t pay for it because it is a religious school.  Same for Wilson Hill Academy.  Can anyone suggest a similar class from a non-religious provider?

These won't be similar because Schole and Wilson Hill both use CAP's Latin programs.

Perhaps Lukieon (but keep in mind these are rigorous Latin courses)

Maybe Lively Latin? Though it won't take you very far along I think.

I have no idea why Lone Pine Classical seems to have vanished from the internet. Not sure if they closed down.

Vote for CLRC here! 

Lukeion was a poor fit for us, but many like it.  I do not have a Latin-lover, I simply require Latin, so if your child is a Latin fiend it might suit better 🙂  I believe that Lukeion turns class chat off during the actual class (not sure if all instructors do this or not, my child's did) and one factor in the "poor fit" was that my child missed the social element. 

Memoria Press' classes won't suit a charter school both because of Memoria Press' official Christian stance as a publisher and also because the Latin courses do have religious content and assume a religious perspective (a relatively minor element, but very real).   There is video of teacher and text of students, at least in the Latin courses we took (before we started CLRC). 

We are using CLRC right now and I could not be happier with the instruction.  The Latin courses are not religious and are charter-appropriate  Like MP, there is video of the teacher but text-only of the students (with some audio when students answer questions); if are you interested, I'd definitely suggest contacting them and seeing if you can talk with Anne Van Fossen about your child.

ETA: the schools use different Latin texts: Lukeion, Wheelock's; Memoria Press, the Form Latin series; and CLRC, the Oxford Latin.  We much prefer the Oxford Latin course which is interesting and has pretty pictures 🙂 though we couldn't do it without a class. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

On 2/5/2019 at 5:49 AM, RootAnn said:

I can't see signatures. Which level of German are you considering?

Young German I— my 2nd dd has some experience with German, but she has been doing it 100% verbally until quite recently as she is dyslexic and I wanted to get her reading well in English before adding that element in German.  So I figured I’d put her in the very first level, and the vocab would be easier for her but the reading and writing would give her some challenge.

6 minutes ago, Michelle Conde said:

Young German I

Got it! Just know that sometimes the Young German 2 class gets merged with the High School German 1 class due to low numvers. I don't know how many times that it has happened, only that it did a couple years ago. (My DD#1 is in CLRC German 2 this year and has loved all her German teachers @ CLRC.)