Menu

Anyone familiar with Giant Cow Children's program (will be at the Great Homeschool Convention-MO)

We're seriously considering making this 5 hour trip! It sounds a little nuts but heck, it's like my Disneyworld to go to a homeschool conference! The Children's program is run by Giant Cow ministries. Just wondering if anyone has any first hand knowledge with this experience? Or, any advice for the GHC at all? I've never been to one this huge and although I'm excited, fairly anxious too. 

I go to the GHC every year and love it. But look at the list of vendors and know what you are looking for. Or know what grades and subjects you need. For instance, I am looking for science, grade 3. That will help you navigate the vendor hall which is huge and overwhelming. I try not to buy too much there unless I am sure I want it and will use it. I have often got home and wonder what was I thinking. It is easy to get carried away with the energy and salespeople. As far as the children program, I have always taken DH to watch the children, as they are too young to all be in the program. Maybe someone else can help you with that. 

Edited by stibalfamily

I have not used the children’s program personally but a friend has for some of her kids.  She thinks it has been a good experience.  I think it’s sort of like VBS in that there are lots of songs and maybe skits. 

You have to sign your kids in and out and there isn’t a lunch break so you go get them whenever you think they will be ready to eat. In Cincinnati it sells out so if you think you are going to use the children’s program, get your tickets for it ASAP. 

Loved my 2 trips to GHC - Ohio! I agree, know the vendors ahead of time and have a plan of attack: must see vendors, would like to see vendors, and if you have time. You won't see them all, and that's okay! So target the things that you really need to see in person to decide on first, and then branch out. Lots of great talks. You can get some on audio if you can't get to all of them. 

If you can stand not to purchase there, you'll save your back by just making decisions & either ordering online or making a note to order when you get home! But a wheeled cart is helpful if you want to purchase while there!

And of course, comfortable shoes are a must :-). Have a great time!