Menu

Folding underwear, etc.

BakersDozen

I find this thread very interesting. I tried not folding my underwear once and it didn't work for me. It felt stressful in the morning to open the drawer and not find the ones I wanted. This is especially true for socks. I have sore joints and stiffness in the morning and I don't want to spend extra time bending over a drawer looking for something. I have a lot of socks, two small drawers actually. There are athletic socks for walking that were a little bit expensive that I take special care with (they help with foot pain and blisters so I love them), ankle socks for summer, several pairs of black or grey for ordinary use, thicker ones for certain shoes and boots that feel too big otherwise, and the really thick winter boot socks. When I had tons of free time recovering from back surgery I did the Kon Mari folding thing on my drawers. It actually made me feel happy. I get the emotional energy factor. For me the effort of putting away nicely and seeing an organized drawer is calming. Seeing a messy drawer is a little stressful. The same rules don't seem to apply to my filing cabinet. I hate filing papers and usually let things pile up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CAJinBE said:

I find this thread very interesting. I tried not folding my underwear once and it didn't work for me. It felt stressful in the morning to open the drawer and not find the ones I wanted. This is especially true for socks. I have sore joints and stiffness in the morning and I don't want to spend extra time bending over a drawer looking for something. I have a lot of socks, two small drawers actually. There are athletic socks for walking that were a little bit expensive that I take special care with (they help with foot pain and blisters so I love them), ankle socks for summer, several pairs of black or grey for ordinary use, thicker ones for certain shoes and boots that feel too big otherwise, and the really thick winter boot socks. When I had tons of free time recovering from back surgery I did the Kon Mari folding thing on my drawers. It actually made me feel happy. I get the emotional energy factor. For me the effort of putting away nicely and seeing an organized drawer is calming. Seeing a messy drawer is a little stressful. The same rules don't seem to apply to my filing cabinet. I hate filing papers and usually let things pile up. 

This is all very similar to me, except I don’t have joint pain. In general, things that are organized and tidy soothe me, while things that are jumbled aggitate me. I love knowing precisely where things are. I love being able to say, for example, “Son, go look in my office on the left-hand bookshelf, about midway through the third shelf from the top and get me the book with a red spine.” My mother always marvelled at that degree of order. (My dad was orderly too; my mom was the opposite.) 

2 hours ago, Quill said:

This is all very similar to me, except I don’t have joint pain. In general, things that are organized and tidy soothe me, while things that are jumbled aggitate me. I love knowing precisely where things are. I love being able to say, for example, “Son, go look in my office on the left-hand bookshelf, about midway through the third shelf from the top and get me the book with a red spine.” My mother always marvelled at that degree of order. (My dad was orderly too; my mom was the opposite.) 

I think skipping the folding step feels a bit like getting away with something to me, like I'm playing hooky, or rebelling in some way, lol. I may have some issues with authority. 

But also, unlike others, I don't have special socks for different purposes. If I'm wearing socks it is because I'm wearing sneakers - most likely to exercise or go to a park in. All my socks are athletic socks in ankle length, so any pair will do. First two I see that match each other win. 

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

I think skipping the folding step feels a bit like getting away with something to me, like I'm playing hooky, or rebelling in some way, lol. I may have some issues with authority. 

But also, unlike others, I don't have special socks for different purposes. If I'm wearing socks it is because I'm wearing sneakers - most likely to exercise or go to a park in. All my socks are athletic socks in ankle length, so any pair will do. First two I see that match each other win. 

My son’s socks are like this and he doesn’t organize them or pair them. All his socks are black crews; any two are fine.