Menu

Anyone with a child in Schole Academy's Art of Argument class?

I am just curious how this course compares to other Schole classes or even other online classes. What do you think of the amount of work in the Art of Argument class? Would you classify it as light? I am trying to plan for next year and just curious about various online classes and course loads. 

My 8th grade daughter is in the class this year. It is fantastic!!! But it is hard work for sure. Lots of writing. Lots of terms to learn. Quizzes, tests, etc..... But it is a really fun class. She finds it very interesting and loves her teacher. It is probably her most challenging class, along with a local physical science class. My husband would say this is the class we will never miss with future kids. It’s so valuable and helping her so much. I’d say she devotes an average of 4-5 hours a week to study/work outside the class. A little more when a test is coming up that she has to study for. 

Hope this helps! I highly recommend this class. 

• Like 2

Just FWIW, while I've never had a kid in the Schole class, I'm teaching AofA to a local group of kids for the third time. We usually only have 3-5 kids participate (one of them always being one of my kids) and it is fun to do as a group. We do NOT use the videos. There is not much writing in my version, but we bring in real examples and talk about them. We only meet once per week for 1 1/2 hours, have quizzes, & tests, but not nearly that much homework. A of A is a fun book to work through with a group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nam2001 said:

My 8th grade daughter is in the class this year. It is fantastic!!! But it is hard work for sure. Lots of writing. Lots of terms to learn. Quizzes, tests, etc..... But it is a really fun class. She finds it very interesting and loves her teacher. It is probably her most challenging class, along with a local physical science class. My husband would say this is the class we will never miss with future kids. It’s so valuable and helping her so much. I’d say she devotes an average of 4-5 hours a week to study/work outside the class. A little more when a test is coming up that she has to study for. 

Hope this helps! I highly recommend this class. 

Thank you! My dd is taking the class this year and loves it! It is a WONDERFUL class and it is definitely on our list for all of our kids to take. Since this is only our second experience with a live online class, I wasn't sure how to compare it to future expectations on work load. Thanks again!

23 minutes ago, ByGrace3 said:

Thank you! My dd is taking the class this year and loves it! It is a WONDERFUL class and it is definitely on our list for all of our kids to take. Since this is only our second experience with a live online class, I wasn't sure how to compare it to future expectations on work load. Thanks again!

Oh I see! I didn’t realize the child was already in the class.

Well, this class is definitely the most challenging class my daughter has, but that said - she’s in 8th grade and not taking other high school level classes. But it takes more work than her WTMA math class and her local composition class. We don’t have any online classes for history or English so I can’t compare there. 

• Like 1