Menu

Book a Week 2019 - BW4: Sir Francis Bacon and Essays

Robin M

On 1/23/2019 at 6:30 PM, mumto2 said:

@Kareni I am sure you already know this but the next book in The Written in Red series will be released in March.

.  I am second on the list.  I need to get cracking if I am going to reread that series first,  I promised myself I would!

I preordered the book and happily looking forward to it coming out. I should probably reread Lake Silence again in February.  I preordered three or four books in December which  included James Rollin's Crucible which just arrived. Yeah.  I needed to take a break from The Source. Too much death!  Also Faith Hunter's Circle of the Moon along with JD. Robb's newest In Death  book coming out in February.

On 1/23/2019 at 1:08 PM, Robin M said:

Questions of the Week?  Would you rather...

Be invisible or be able to read minds?

Would you rather have a flying carpet or a car that can drive underwater?

Be stranded on a deserted island alone or with someone you don’t like?

Live on the beach or in a cabin in the woods?

😘

I would much rather be invisible as I love being a fly on the wall, listening to conversations. I think reading minds would drive me crazy.   My dreams are fulling of flying which means I should go with the flying carpet.  You can fly underwater can't you   😀   As long as I have books, I could go either way.  I'd prefer to be alone. However, If I was deserted with someone I disliked, it'd never be boring.   I love the ocean, so definitely the beach.    Thanks for playing! 

On 1/24/2019 at 4:53 AM, Junie said:

I also read Kennedy's Last Days by Bill O'Reilly.  This was a really easy read with a lot of information, although I thought it read like the script of "48 Hours" or some similar program.  The very short chapters helped keep the timeline and broke the information into manageable bites, but some of them seemed too short -- almost like teasers of things to come.   If not for the seriousness of the subject matter, this book felt like it was written for 10 year olds.  I liked it, but I would have liked it more if it had gone a little deeper than the surface.  (I passed this book on to dd16 and dd14, as they are studying the 1960s this month.)

James loves O'Reilly's books and has read all of them.  Hubby said the same as you, that they are easy reads.  

• Like 3

On 1/20/2019 at 3:53 PM, aggieamy said:

Then Sandy  @mumto2) sent me the most amazing surprise and it fit perfectly in the theme of my corner. I cried tears when I opened the box. There's even a sweet message written in quilting stitch (probably not really called that but I'm not a quilter only a quilt admirer). I'll even include a couple of close ups so you can see how amazing it is. And look at the colors! She just randomly picked colors that are prefect for my bedroom. 

Wow! What an amazing book corner. And what talent, Sandy!

Sorry not to have reported in. Will try harder this evening.

• Like 3

On 1/23/2019 at 3:08 PM, Robin M said:

Questions of the Week?  Would you rather...

1. Be invisible or be able to read minds?

2. Would you rather have a flying carpet or a car that can drive underwater?

3. Be stranded on a deserted island alone or with someone you don’t like?

4. Live on the beach or in a cabin in the woods?

These all seem like variations on choices of Hell. I would rather

4. live in the downtown of a city,

3. in close quarters with at least half a million people I don't especially like,

2. with good public transit (or free parking),

1. and as invisible as everyone else. Heaven!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am behind the game but I just finished Space Opera by Catherynne M. Valente and it was AMAZING! I actually bought it because I enjoyed it so much. It is written in a similar style to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and is a fabulously wacky and fun read. 

• Like 2