Menu

What writing program does a great job introducing essay-writing?

I realized yesterday that what we are doing with writing for my 9th grader is failing misterably. :glare:

In the past year he has worked through:

IEW C

WriteShop 2

and done numerous other writing for history

I thought he was ready for The Lively Art of Writing, but he is showing me in many many ways that this book is WAY over his head right now.

I need a simple easy gentle this-is-how-to-do-an-essay guide. Would "The Elegant Essay" be appropriate?

None of my kids particlarly like Mr. Pudewa, so I am reluctant to get The High School Essay Intensive, but would it be more what I am looking for? (If it is, ds will just have to suffer through!)

Is there anything else out there that would provide a gentle easy approach to essay-writing?

Thank you! I so appreciate having a forum to ask this question knowing that all kinds of experts are out there to help! :001_smile:

"The Lively Art of Writing" and "Format Writing" are the two best resources I've seen for essay writing and I've seen many. If TLAOW is too advanced, try Format Writing.

The only other thing I'd recommend in addition to (not in place of) Format Writing is a book entitled:

"How to Write an Essay". It's in the "Sparknotes Ultimate Style" series. ISBN: 1-4114-9976-X . I purchased ours at B&N. It's written on a slightly lower level than the other 2 books I mentioned so it should help your ds.

I should add--- All 3 books are inexpensive and effective.

Edited by Anna

We love Jensens here - very gentle, you could pick and choose as you go. http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?event=AFF&p=1012563&item_no=6061297

If you do decide to go with IEW for the Essay writing, I have it and can pop it in the mail to you. We've watched it and may watch it again before SAT (I think she's doing it in March - it's whichever month doesn't have SAT subjects:lol: