Menu

Animals & Habitats by Continent

Slache

I did this, merging Trail Guide and the Ultimate Geography and timeline guide. Mine were elementary age at the time.  One year we did the more physical side of geography--rivers, cities, the trail blazing, etc.. and the next year we did animals, language, flags, etc.  Here is the page we used: A few facts about.pdf

I used some of these as well:  http://shared.confessionsofahomeschooler.com/geography/ExpeditionEarthAnimals.pdf

https://www.imagineourlife.com/tag/printables/  (scroll to bottom for cards)

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

here is the schedule I used:   (see attached)

I can send you the "illustrated geography dictionary" as a file in a PM if you want it. I downloaded images from online so I don't want to post it. I am guessing that distributing it in mass breaks some copyrights. 😃You could have your kids make their own. I opted to use online pictures and not make them draw the landforms themselves. I am not even sure you want to do landforms.

FYI--TUG = Ultimate Geography and timeline guide and GTA=Geography Through Art

geography 2014 rev 031415.docx

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cintinative said:

I did this, merging Trail Guide and the Ultimate Geography and timeline guide.

Did you find the Ultimate Guide to be helpful?

18 hours ago, cintinative said:

I can send you the "illustrated geography dictionary" as a file in a PM if you want it.

That would be great, thanks!

37 minutes ago, Slache said:

Did you find the Ultimate Guide to be helpful?

That would be great, thanks!

If you didn't buy the Trail Guide yet, then yes--it accomplishes more of what you want to do (the cultural/animals/main products, etc.) than the Trail Guide does. 

I got all of my books used (the Trail Guides plus the TUG and Geography with Art) so that helped. When I get on my computer I will send you the dictionary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

If you didn't buy the Trail Guide yet, then yes--it accomplishes more of what you want to do (the cultural/animals/main products, etc.) than the Trail Guide does. 

I got all of my books used (the Trail Guides plus the TUG and Geography with Art) so that helped. When I get on my computer I will send you the dictionary.

So I do I want both the Trail Guide & the TUG or just the TUG?

ETA: Does the TUG have the questions from the TG?

Edited by Slache

Current List:

•  Trail Guide to World Geography set $85 purchase
    • Trail Guide
    • Student Notebook
    • Eat Your Way Aroud The World
    • World Placemat
    • Geography Through Art
    • Around The world in 80 days
    • Continents Map Set
  • Kids Lonely Planet Animals [and habitats]; Cities; Travel ~$30 purchase
  • Draw the World set (library)
  • Wee Sing Around The World (own)
  • Something for biographies
  • Something for fairy tales
  • Something for sayings
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Slache said:

Current List:

•  Trail Guide to World Geography set $85 purchase
    • Trail Guide
    • Student Notebook
    • Eat Your Way Aroud The World
    • World Placemat
    • Geography Through Art
    • Around The world in 80 days
    • Continents Map Set
  • Kids Lonely Planet Animals [and habitats]; Cities; Travel ~$30 purchase
  • Draw the World set (library)
  • Wee Sing Around The World (own)
  • Something for biographies
  • Something for fairy tales
  • Something for sayings

Do you need the student notebook? I don't remember using that.  

We only did a few projects from Geography through Art, but we were also using Artistic Pursuits.

One thing I found irritating about trail guide was the level of detail they expected on the mapping, and yet they recommended the Uncle Josh's maps. Do *not* use the Uncle Josh's maps. To expect an elementary kid to draw in the rivers and all all the mountains seemed like a lot to me.  I ended up using a set of maps from Scholastic that you can print because they had most of the rivers on them. I say most because they were still missing some. 

---

There are some good collections of fairy tales referenced in the WTM I think (Or it might be SOTW?).  Anyway, here are some from my library list that we used for read-alouds:

Japanese tales and legends / retold by Helen and William McAlpine ; illustrated by Joan Kiddell-Monroe

Twenty Jātaka tales / retold by Noor Inayat Khan ; illustrated by H. Willebeek Le Mair

The Chʻi-lin purse : a collection of ancient Chinese stories / retold by Linda Fang ; pictures by Jeanne M. Lee

African myths and legends / retold by Kathleen Arnott ; illustrated by Joan Kiddell-Monroe

Tales of ancient Egypt / Roger Lancelyn Green ; introduction by Michael Rosen ; illustrations by Heather Copley

Stories from the Amazon / by Saviour Pirotta ; illustrated by Becky Gryspeerdt

The illustrated book of myths : tales & legends of the world / retold by Neil Philip ; illustrated by Nilesh Mistry

The legend of the persian carpet / retold by Tomie DePaola ; illustrated by Claire Ewart

I've got 144 lessons (4 days a week for 36 weeks) broken up according to the Trail Guide. The last 9 weeks will be dedicated to the Around The World in 80 Days unit study provided in the guide.

• Monday: Trail Guide questions, notebooking, and an introduction to that week's project.
  • Tuesday: Local animals and ecosystems. I have Kid's Lonely Planet Animals as a read aloud and AIG's Ecosystems for John to read independently.
  • Wednesday: A short biography. I have The Children's Treasury of Virtues and will purchase Hero Tales. Both will be used for our IEW writing assignments.
  • Thursday: Interesting things about the area from Kid's Lonely Planet Cities and Kid's Lonely Planet Travel. These will be used for BW's writing assignments.

Memory Work (we already do countries, capitals and flags via ANKI) will be pulled from:

• Living Memory
  • Geography songs
  • Wee Sing Around The World
  • A dictionary of physical geography terms

Weekly projects will be pulled from:

• Draw The World series
  • Geography Through Art
  • Eat Your Way around The World

While projects are being done we will listen to music from the area and fairy tales from the area will be added to our morning basket. Now I just need a spreadsheet filled in with all the specifics...

1 hour ago, cintinative said:

Do you need the student notebook? I don't remember using that.  

We only did a few projects from Geography through Art, but we were also using Artistic Pursuits.

One thing I found irritating about trail guide was the level of detail they expected on the mapping, and yet they recommended the Uncle Josh's maps. Do *not* use the Uncle Josh's maps. To expect an elementary kid to draw in the rivers and all all the mountains seemed like a lot to me.  I ended up using a set of maps from Scholastic that you can print because they had most of the rivers on them. I say most because they were still missing some. 

No.

We will be dropping AP for Geography Through Art and the Draw Your World books.

Thank you for the heads up!

• Like 1