Menu

Accountability Thread 12/23-12/29

Quiet morning! I woke up with no voice at all. Just this cranky little wheezy whisper that apparently would be funny if I didn't glare daggers at anyone who asks me to talk. Today is going to be spent resting, writing, and not talking. 

I don't know what I'll be doing for Christmas at this point. Possibly staying home with my crackers and cheese, my bed and hot tea. But I ought to be writing, reading over my edit letter when it comes, and chomping through my stack of reading like a voracious bookworm.

8 minutes ago, Mommyof1 said:

Sounds like you have what I'm finally getting over, Critter 

Tomorrow is baking, cleaning, laundry and delivering treats. Christmas Eve service. Only school tomorrow will be reading (her to us and us to her).

No school on Christmas Day.

How long did it take you to get through it? This is day 6 of it, and I'm still feeling like my head is going to explode if my lungs don't explode first.

10 hours ago, Mommyof1 said:

Since before Halloween but I'm asthmatic with other health issues. My DD  (also asthmatic) and DH had it for 3 weeks. DH not asthmatic but had to be on breathing treatments. YMMV.

Well, yuck. I can generally kick stuff to the curb in a few days, but not this bug. I was up four times last night coughing and gagging. I'm physically sore from coughing now. Hubby is taking me to get something medically done this morning, and I think one boy is coming down with it now. Merry Christmas to us, I guess.

Other than the visit to the after-hours care place, I thought I might make GF cinnamon buns for everyone. We're all feeling pretty sorry for ourselves at the moment.

Mommyof1: your dh is not asthmatic and still needed breathing treatments?! 😨 man that's a rough virus! I have to avoid breathing treatments if at all possible due to SVT. I came this close to using an inhaler last winter when I just couldn't breathe. But I didn't want to end up in the ER so I didn't do it. 

Critter: I'm sorry your dealing with this never ending sickness this time of year. It sounds awful. 😞 

We are hosting family here today. I have been baking and cooking all day Friday, Saturday, and a little bit yesterday. I cleaned the living room and kitchen yesterday but they have accumulated things again already. That's the problem with cleaning ahead of time with little kids. Oh well. I'll get them on tidying their messes. I still need to clean the entry and 2 bathrooms. 

• Like 1

A lot of cleaning here too and baking then delivery of said baked goods.

DD6 is complaining and wants to go play with cousins. Not possible right now but she is refusing to see that. 

DH now has a head cold and doesn't want to do much. I don't blame him.

"The woods are lovely dark and deep but I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep".

• Like 2

Merry Christmas! I was able to sleep better last night after medications, and only got up twice instead of four or five times to deal with my cough. That's enough improvement to make me feel better, although I'm still quite fatigued. I made our cinnamon rolls last night and baked them today. They were pretty good. Even I could taste them a little bit. Dinner is in the oven, and I will probably make myself some potato soup for lunch. There's just me and the boy home today as everyone else cleared out to celebrate with grandparents, but that's time to rest and write, and I could use both.

ETA: The diagnosis was "the cold" (much of the waiting room coughed and hacked like they had it too), coupled with a nasty sinus infection on top of the cold. I'm on antibiotics, cough medicine, and decongestants to help me breathe. 

Edited by Critterfixer
  • Like 1

Good morning. The cold continues. I still sound like a bullfrog with laryngitis, but I'm less tired. Still getting up a lot at night with my cough, though. Today's goals: get a little cleaning done before the dust bunnies eat us all, write, and continue to mend. I do have a chicken pie to cook later today, but it's a GF one, so the crust will be really simple, and the filling is already made.

• Like 1

Slowly improving. Cough seems to be dropping off, and I'm breathing more or less unobstructed. I haven't done anything with the school planning or scheduling yet. Got a few more days, right? I got an email from my agent telling me to look out, my edit letter is almost done and then I'll have to get back to work. Looking forward to it, but glad I had a holiday to recover from my crud before it was time to start editing and rewriting again.

• Like 1

Well, I guess I've been going with the flow on how many days we take off during this winter break time frame. We have taken off all week so far, although we've been at the library for a long time this morning soaking in all the book goodness to get back in a learning frame of mind. We will probably go get lunch out here in a few minutes to keep things fun. 😊

I'd like to parlay this into some project based learning tomorrow which will be a good "Fun Friday" finish to the week. 

Then I think we should start back to a regular school schedule on Monday. I'm pretty content with this plan. 😊

Glad you seem to be on the mend, Critter!

• Like 1

Glad your feeling better, Critter!

Today she read to us and we read to her. Horizon math, Bible story and practice writing.

Her cousin is coming over so she will be playing all afternoon.

We decided to try a HS CO. It meets twice a month. She needs more contact with others and I hope this helps her make more friends. We will try it for the first time in January. 

She is very social and friendly child. Her current friends lead busy lives and aren't always available. 

Going to check in with HS Mom's at church for playdate. Only problem is they have lots of kids and busy schedules.

• Like 2

Good morning! Best sleep so far this week. Only coughed myself awake twice, and only once needed cough syrup. Today's goal is to finish this first draft of a novel and start tackling questions in my edit letter. Tentatively, I have three months to complete all edits. Some of them are fairly major, but all good changes and additions. Lot of work, though. I also need to set up my writing schedule for regular school. Been in a relaxed schedule since NaNo.

• Like 1

On 12/27/2018 at 1:22 PM, Mommyof1 said:

Her cousin is coming over so she will be playing all afternoon.

We decided to try a HS CO. It meets twice a month. She needs more contact with others and I hope this helps her make more friends. We will try it for the first time in January. 

She is very social and friendly child. Her current friends lead busy lives and aren't always available. 

Going to check in with HS Mom's at church for playdate. Only problem is they have lots of kids and busy schedules.

This is one of my biggest struggles! We did Homeschool PE last year but it hasn't worked this year for a variety of reasons. 

We live in a very rural/small community and, while there are a couple of co-ops, neither of them work for us. 

Plus, like you said, everyone is so busy, its hard to get together. We had several really great field trips and park days last year that I spearheaded with another hs mom. But her schedule has gotten so busy, it hasn't happened this year at all.

We did manage a playdate this month (for ALL the kids- the toddler gets lots of play dates! Lol!) and a lot of family time. We have a field trip planned with a new hs family next month. And we might start going to Homeschool PE again and just make it work. 

I hope your new co-op is a good fit for you guys!

Today has involved a trip to the paint store for a project, intro to scratch, lots of reading, and baking cookies and black bean brownies. Oh, and I got dinner in the Crock Pot. 

Family movie night tonight plus the kids want to play one of their new board games, so we'll do that, too before bed. 

• Like 2

Thanks Mrs R.

Today she read several easy phonics readers and then a book. I read several stories to her plus her Bible stories, poems and memory verses review, math and writing practice.

Played board/card games 

Chores

Lots of inside free play. It's very cold outside.

Painting while listening to audiobooks.

• Like 2