Menu

Chicken people! Coccidosis help! Urgent

Ausmumof3

Help!  We have two week old chickens and one is looking very lethargic and having blood in droppings.  We do use a medicated feed for coccidiosis but looks like this chicken may still have contracted it.  I had trouble with a waterer flooding so some of the bedding was damp this morning.  

Its Sunday here and all the feed stores etc that I could normally get medication from are closed.  One may possibly be open in a couple of hours but they are pretty unreliable with stock anyway!

has anyone got any tips, experiences, help or suggestions that might help save this chick or at least prevent spread to my others?

We've dealt with this, but not with such young chicks.

The medicated feed has a coccidiostat in it, but it seems you may need a coccidiocide. We've been told in the past that the blood in droppings is a tell-tale sign.

Places like Pet Barn may stock it. Another option is to call a vet - you may be able to buy it over-the-counter without an appt. I've dealt with bird vets before who have been happy to discuss things over the phone and understand that it would be too stressful for the chooky to come in for an appt.

My concern would be working out correct dosage for such young chicks. If it was me, I'd be calling a vet for advice.

Can you separate the sickly chicken for now?

Good luck @Ausmumof3

• Like 1

Didn’t end well for chicky.  The fodder store guy only had out of date amprolium and was pretty sure it wasn’t cocci due to the fact they’ve been on medicated feed.  I came home with working stuff instead which did nothing.  Second chick is showing early signs now and of course being Christmas tomorrow nothing is open.  I will try first thing Wed morning to get the stuff and hopefully this chick will make it that long.

anyway just thought I’d share just in case anyone else has a similar situation.