Menu

Any other pickleballers out there?

milovany

I have found my fitness thing.  I walk, have always loved walking, but I don't do it in the fall and winter and sometimes I get out of it for months on end.  I belonged to a gym for strength training for two years, but have now been out of it for two years or more.  Didn't love the loud music, and just not my thing overall (going to the gym, not strength training in general).

But pickleball

I have played off and on for 30 or so years, my dad introduced me to the sport, but it's been mostly off.  We played almost weekly for about a year when we lived in Colorado, but that was 15+ years ago.  We played occasionally when my mom and dad would visit. I played one game four or five years ago and my knee did something funny so I stopped immediately.  Had things checked out out nothing found. 

Much more recently, early November to be exact, my awesome dad was inducted into the Pickleball Hall of Fame in its second year of existence! Last year they honored the founders of the sport and this year, they honored those who helped grow it exponentially into the sport it is today (the recent national championships just had 2200 participants).  My daddy was one of those honorees.  I was able to travel to Palm Desert CA for the ceremony, and it just stirred me up to play again. 

I found a group of local ladies that play a couple of times a week and have been going to that.  We found out that a rinky dink city racquetball facility has pickleball on Monday nights.  I started a local pickleball club Facebook page. I would play a couple of hours a day, twice a day, if I could.  I think I want to build a court on our property (and know that as a result, Patty Joanna would never in a million years come and live next to us, unfortunately, haha).  😉 There's a city I wouldn't mind moving to and I already found a house that's .3 miles from active pickleball courts and .4 miles from a great Orthodox church. An even bigger haha.  I love it and I think I'm kind of addicted. 

Anyone else love the sport? 

http://www.usapa.org

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Selkie said:

My dh is a pickleball addict! He plays several times a week.🙂 How cool that your dad is in the Hall of Fame! 

I think so, too! 🙂 He’s always been a huge inspiration when it comes to being active and involved in life. He's 80 and still doesn't sit still for long.

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

I’ve never played but would like to try it. How intense is it? Is it enough to break a sweat and call solid aerobic exercise?

It can be intense, yes. Depends on who and how you play. It's more like HIIT than solid cardio, I'd say. Bursts of play, then set up for next serve, then burst of play again.  You could look at some USA national championship pickle ball tournament videos on YouTube to see what that level is like.  

And then maybe go to USAPA.org and check out the places to play link to see what’s going on in your area.  You could see if they’re strictly recreational or also pretty competitive.  I am thankful that the group of ladies I found to play with recently are playing to win.  For me, it definitely makes it funner. 

How cool for your dad!    There is pickle ball at one of our local gyms where anyone can drop in an play anytime.  Can you pass on some tips on how to join in?   I would like to, but wasn't sure of the protocol...Do I just walk in and expect them to be happy to include a newbie?!   I wasn't sure if that would ruin their game if they already had their weekly challenges that they like to play against...I'm all ears...thanks!

I'm going to say that it's probably 93% likely they'll be thrilled you're there!  I suppose if they average 52 people and there are only four courts, they might be short on playing time and might jealously guard what they have, but I doubt it.  Just go in and introduce yourself to someone who's not currently playing and looks friendly.  🙂  Or ask whoever's in charge of the facility who might be good to talk to or what you need to do.  Maybe go in the first time just expecting to watch -- either you'll be satisfied because you got what you wanted, or they'll ask you to play and you'll have fun doing that.  I think the average pickleballer loves the sport and loves it when others want to learn/play.

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...