Menu

Listing athletic awards on Common App

Nancy in NH

DD has numerous athletic awards from the sport in which she participates.  It seems the 'Activities' section of her part of the Common App doesn't have much room to elaborate on such things.  If your DC had athletic awards, where did you put them on the CA?  I was thinking of uploading the list as another transcript in the counselor section, but it isn't sitting right with me.  Thoughts?

Thanks!
Nancy in NH

There is also an awards section, if I remember correctly, but no part of the CA really allows a lot of room for things like this. If the schools your DD is applying to allow for uploading a resume (or activities list, etc), I'd include those on that. Otherwise, you pick your top awards and play with the number of characters they give you on the activities and awards lists.

14 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

There is also an awards section, if I remember correctly, but no part of the CA really allows a lot of room for things like this. If the schools your DD is applying to allow for uploading a resume (or activities list, etc), I'd include those on that. Otherwise, you pick your top awards and play with the number of characters they give you on the activities and awards lists.

The only thing we see is an 'Activities' section and a small box to enter something, certainly not enough room, but I don't see an 'Awards' section.

14 minutes ago, Nancy in NH said:

The only thing we see is an 'Activities' section and a small box to enter something, certainly not enough room, but I don't see an 'Awards' section.

It has been a couple of months. I was thinking of the "honors" section under the Education tab. Same small amount of room. I'd forgotten the Honors section was specifically for academics.

Certainly, Dd had more awards for karate than what she had room for. She had to choose the most recent & highest awards to list. If she had been a recruited athlete, I assume the coaches would separately have her awards/achievements. Since she is not, I assumed the schools don't care to have the entire list of her accomplishments in karate over the past four years. (She did include them all on her activity resume, but only one school had a spot for that.

I think some schools/kids use ZeeMee (?)  for extras, too.

Glad you found a spot.

Additional Information would be a good place if they are significant. My daughter had a few, but I believe we were able to condense them to a couple words each and get them into the activities section.

You can also include them on a resume, and get that to schools that allow/request that sort of addendum.