Menu

Highschool/Organizational/Get into College Success books

Soror

I buy the kids books every year for Christmas. Ds just wants something non-fiction in the genre of what will help him succeed in highschool. We searched a bit on Amazon but I thought I would ask here for recommendations. As of now, he thinks he wants to be a dentist and has gone so far to pick out a school he wants to attend. BUT this is a relatively new decision and he's young so anything that is general advice would be good. He is doing well in school now but has ADHD and I'm sure that as he advances further having more organizational and study skills will serve him well and he is looking towards things that will help him succeed. TIA

You may want to consider How to Study in College by Walter Pauk and Ross J. Q. Owens.  It's a college text, so the most recent edition (11th - 2013) is ridiculously expensive, but used older editions are much cheaper on Amazon and are still useful.  I suggest you get the 10th edition (2010) or 9th edition (2008), as they include new sections that he may find helpful.  I haven't seen inside the 10th edition, but the 9th is set up in the Cornell study method, with questions in the margin next to the paragraphs.  It's a great reminder to the student of how well that can work.  

• Like 2

I thought How to Be a High School Superstar: A Revolutionary Plan to Get Into College by Standing Out (Without Burning Out) by Cal Newport had some good things to say. It's a slightly different approach to the whole high school game, especially when it comes to extracurriculars. I plan on having my dd read it, maybe next summer.

• Like 2