Menu

"Structured Literacy"

Kanin

It's a new term to me! Have others heard of it already? I was listening to an NPR story today about the education system in Kansas, and the current battle there between "structured literacy" and "balanced literacy." Apparently the International Dyslexia Association coined the term "structured literacy" to brand systematic, sequential reading instruction. I think the term is brilliant - and a great idea to "brand" this way of teaching reading. 

Kansas story:  https://www.kansascity.com/news/state/kansas/article215092575.html

IDA and structured literacy:  https://dyslexiaida.org/structured-literacy/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pen said:

No.  But sounds like an excellent term. I think I’ll adopt it and hope that contributes a tiny drop toward it gaining currency. 

Me too! "Balanced literacy" sounds so, well... balanced, that it could seem unreasonable to say that you didn't want your child's reading instruction to be balanced. But structured, that's good, too. It's interesting how using a certain term can make a difference in how something is perceived. 

I like the term structured literacy because I do think there is more then one way for schools to reach more students and this is like an umbrella term that can encompass methods that do teach systematically. It sounds like something schools would adopt rather then Orton Gillingham or something like that. I hope more schools start using the approach rather then 'balanced literacy' approaches. I was watching some reading lessons the other day that made me cringe how they had the kids guess based on first letters and pictures and spent half the time discussing what will happen in the very simple book they were going to read. I can only imagine how bad it would be if my kid was taught like that.  

Edited by MistyMountain
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, MistyMountain said:

I was watching some reading lessons the other day that made me cringe how they had the kids guess based on first letters and pictures and spent half the the time duscussing what will happen in the very simple book they were going to read. I can only imagine how bad it would be if my kid was taught like that.  

Yes - I feel the same as you. Someone pointed out to me the other day, what happens when they are expected to read books with no pictures? 

• Like 1