Menu

Favorite Retelling of "The Odyssey" and "The Iliad"

umsami

For jr high-ish, I like Rosemary Sutcliffe's Black Ships Before Troy followed by The Wanderings of Odysseus. If I had to pick just one version before high school, Sutcliffe would be it.   Alan Lee's illustrations in those books are just stunning.

For one who doesn't get so hung up on the visuals like I can, Olivia Collidge's The Trojan War is well done. We also like Padraic Colum's The Children's Homer. Colum's other mythology books were well loved by one of mine as well.

We really like Mary Pope Osborne's Tales From the Odyssey for the elementary and getting into chapter books crowd.  One of mine read and re-read those books for two years straight. ?

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2

Bernard Evslin's The Adventures of Ulysses (published in the 1960s) is an excellent retelling, with lyrical prose and an engaging style. The middle schoolers I know who have read it LOVED it, and I would say it's ideal for ages 10-14. It could be read independently but also makes a great read-aloud.

• Like 1