Menu

Talk to me about Cricuts and similar machines.

MeaganS

I'm wanting to make shirts for the family for an upcoming Disney trip and am considering buying a cricut because I could use it in other ways. I'm thinking maybe a Cricut Explore Air 2. I like that I don't have to hook it up to the computer. 

If you have one, would you recommend it? What are surprising things you've used it for? I think I can use it enough to justify it, but its hard to say because I never have. 

Edited by MeaganS

I'm a Silhouette girl. There are a lot more options for purchasing and free files for Silhouette due to its popularity in the scrapbooking community. You do need to hook it up to your computer, though. 

I use mine for scrapbooking.when my kids were in school they used it a lot for school projects. I dont do vinyls and tee shirts but I know a lot of people who do. I have used it to cut fabrics. I have used it to make my own stamps! 

• Like 1

I also have a Silhouette.  LOVE IT!   I don't know much about the Cricut but I have read that the Silhouette is much more user-friendly.  I would also think you would be very limited by not being able to hook it up to the computer.  Obviously, I could be wrong though since I haven't used it.  A Silhouette is unlimited in what you can do.  Other then the supplies (vinyl, etc) I have never spent any money on designs, etc, I have created and used all free files.  

Just keep in mind for t-shirts, you need either use a heat press or be prepared to put a lot of pressure using your iron.   If you start making a lot of t-shirts, the next step before an actual heat press is the Cricut Easy Press.  

Ask away!  I do not sell anything using my Silhouette although many seem to think they are going to get rich using theirs LOL.  I use mine just for fun, myself and friends.