Menu

YA thriller novels - need recommendations please

• 2 weeks later...

Not YA, but Donna Andrews mysteries are fun reads. Her primary series (with birds in the title) have a protagonist who is a super organized young woman who is also a blacksmith, who has a very, very large, interesting family in a small college town in VA,  with a focus on animals (pretty much the entire family loves animals, and not the most typical ones, so not only do the titled birds make an appearance, but almost any other animal you can think of). They are relatively clean (the protagonist does, in the first book, meet her eventual husband, and they have twin boys about 12 books into the series, but it basically stops at the occasional kiss, and one subplot where she’s trying to get a pregnancy test (after they’re married) without letting the entire town know that she might be pregnant before she is able to let her husband know). 

She has another series where the main protagonist is an Artificial Intelligence program. Again, clean, fun, but it is a bit dated in the Sci-Fi elements (and as far as I know, has never been published on Kindle, and I’m not sure if it’s still in print). 

I handed  these to DD to read at about age 10, with no qualms whatsoever. 

I really like Cozy mysteries when I want mind candy. They’re not challenging reads, the violence is usually completely off screen, and they tend to be about 60’s TV show levels of passion.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmmetler said:

Not YA, but Donna Andrews mysteries are fun reads. Her primary series (with birds in the title) have a protagonist who is a super organized young woman who is also a blacksmith, who has a very, very large, interesting family in a small college town in VA,  with a focus on animals (pretty much the entire family loves animals, and not the most typical ones, so not only do the titled birds make an appearance, but almost any other animal you can think of). They are relatively clean (the protagonist does, in the first book, meet her eventual husband, and they have twin boys about 12 books into the series, but it basically stops at the occasional kiss, and one subplot where she’s trying to get a pregnancy test (after they’re married) without letting the entire town know that she might be pregnant before she is able to let her husband know). 

She has another series where the main protagonist is an Artificial Intelligence program. Again, clean, fun, but it is a bit dated in the Sci-Fi elements (and as far as I know, has never been published on Kindle, and I’m not sure if it’s still in print). 

I handed  these to DD to read at about age 10, with no qualms whatsoever. 

I really like Cozy mysteries when I want mind candy. They’re not challenging reads, the violence is usually completely off screen, and they tend to be about 60’s TV show levels of passion.

I just looked up Donna Andrews. How fun are those titles?

Toucan Keep a Secret. Six Geese A-Slaying. Owls Well That Ends Well.

These titles really tickle my fancy 🙂 

• Like 1