Menu

SAT accommodations request--what is needed?

We've homeschooled all along.  Once my oldest hit high school and started taking a few online classes, it became very apparent that he needs some accommodations for time (he has slow processing speeds) and with writing (motor skills/dyspraxia). 

At home, I have been and will continue to accommodate his issues:  I allow him longer to get things done; I let him type instead of hand write.

For the SAT test, I'd like him to be able to have accommodations for his speed and writing (his local college that he'll likely go to does recommend the essay portion of the SAT).  My local high school psychologist said she's willing to give him any test that the college board would need to see in order for them to give him the accommodations.

So my question for the hive:  What does collegeboard need to see?  I'm just starting to delve into their website about this and so far, they aren't naming exact tests.  They say that if the child already has accommodations for school tests, they'll honor that.  But we're homeschoolers, so I don't have anything like that.  I don't have an IEP or 504.  The website is vague.

Has anyone requested accommodations from collegeboard for the SAT and what did it entail?  What exactly do they want?  A full workup?  A couple of test results from the psychologist?  I'm not sure what to do at this point.

NOTE, in case this is important: I approached the high school at the beginning of this school year asking for an assessment for my son for college accommodations (he's in 11th grade now).  I told them I don't really need anything from them, other than I need tests and a report to give to a college so the college can give him accommodations.  The school was fine with that, but suggested that we wait to test until closer to college time, as colleges like to see very, very recent reports.  The psychologist said that some local colleges will make you re-do the testing just before attending the college, and we'd run the risk of doing the tests now, and then having to redo them in less than 2 years.  BUT, she said she was 100% fine with doing whatever testing we'd need for SAT accommodations, but she asked me to find out what collegeboard would want and she'd do those tests.  I jotted down that she said something along the lines of, "For his speed issues, I can do a fluency test for him."  She just asked me to find out what collegeboard needed and she'd get that done for us.  

• Like 1

"How to Apply for Special Testing Accommodations for the SAT" -- article with specific info and details for homeschoolers

And, if he's 11th grade, I'd get on it NOW, as it takes weeks/months to jump all of the hoops, as you don't have much time left for getting this in place and then registering for/prepping/taking the SAT if you want to test in 11th grade. Paperwork wheels grind very slowly...

Just as a note to others who may read this in the future -- it is actually better to get an evaluation (and paper trail) started earlier rather than later, so you can also get specific recommendations for resources and therapies to help strengthen your student's weak areas and be using these throughout all the high school years to help reduce weak function areas.

Edited by Lori D.

There may be a "downside" to getting accommodations for your DS:    I seem to remember a thread on WTM, probably within the last several weeks, that said that the College Board  releases information to the universities that a student had accommodations.   I cannot remember as I write this, whether or not that included information about the specific accommodations, or just that the test taker had received accommodations. 

3 minutes ago, Lanny said:

...I seem to remember a thread on WTM, probably within the last several weeks, that said that the College Board releases information to the universities that a student had accommodations....

"ACT disclosing disabilities and personal info in the reports being sent to colleges" That was the ACT, not the SAT (College Board). Although perhaps College Board does it too and just hasn't been caught. (:P 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Just as a note to others who may read this in the future -- it is actually better to get an evaluation (and paper trail) started earlier rather than later, so you can also get specific recommendations for resources and therapies to help strengthen your student's weak areas and be using these throughout all the high school years to help reduce weak function areas.

Yes, I agree.  I wish we'd known to do this in 9th grade.  

For us, my school gave me information about a different organization that might help us with my son's executive functioning needs called the Office of Vocational Rehab (OVR). There was little that the school itself could offer me, though they wished they could.  Their resources were all classroom based, and if my son wasn't in the classroom then they couldn't do much to help me.  Like, if a child has executive function issues (which my son clearly does), then the teacher will work with that student to keep their binder tidy and make sure they have their homework with them before they leave for the day, etc.  That won't help me at home and those are the sorts of things I already do with him.  The school told me that the OVR helps people outside of the school setting.  They told me the OVR might end up doing some testing to figure out my guy's specific needs and how they can help, like with some OT or something.  In the meanwhile, I schedule him plenty of time to get work done, and do a few other accommodations so he can learn.

NOTE:  I haven't contacted the OVR yet. It's on my to-do list for Monday.  I'm just saying what the school told me.  Maybe they were sending me on a wild goose chase.  Don't know yet!

We didn't really clue in until the middle of 10th grade that this was more than just the normal adjustments to high school level work.  If I'd have understood better that he has needs beyond the norm, I'd have gotten some of these balls rolling back then.  So, if anyone thinks they have a kid who needs accommodations, I would 2nd to start the ball rolling very early and see what might be out there to help.  

Edited by Garga
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Garga said:

...my school gave me information about a different organization that mayhelp us with my son's executive functioning needs called the Office of Vocational Rehab (OVR). There was little that the school itself could offer me, though they wished they could.  Their resources were all classroom based, and if my son wasn't in the classroom then they couldn't do much to help me.  Like, if a child has executive function issues (which my son clearly does), then the teacher will work with that student to keep their binder tidy and make sure they have their homework with them before they leave for the day, etc.  That won't help me at home and those are the sorts of things I already do with him....

(((Garga))) How frustrating!

And, I totally did not mean my comment about seeking evaluation early to sound like a judgment -- I "know" you from years of posting on these boards and know you are so very conscientious and do tons of research. I really meant that comment for others coming later to the conversation. 

Also, I'll just throw in that you really have to have student buy-in for doing evaluations and implementing therapies. Sigh -- speaking from first hand experience with one DS...

Edited by Lori D.

My son has SAT accommodations. He was evaluated by a psychologist just prior to his freshman year for the specific purpose of getting accommodation recommendations on record. He had been evaluated earlier, but not formally diagnosed. 

The psych conducted a number of tests, but probably the WISC-IV and the Woodcock-Johnson III were the most helpful in pinpointing why accommodations were needed. The results indicated deficits in the areas of processing and working memory, which definitely required accommodation. 

In addition to the testing paperwork and the psych's diagnosis and recommendations, I also submitted ways that we had accommodated the difficulties in our homeschool. I gave specific examples from various classes, including virtual programs and co-op classes, in addition to what we did at home. I had a co-op teacher write up a short letter of her observations of my son and how extra time would benefit him.

All in all, it took about a month after submitting all of the paperwork for the accommodations to be granted.  Testing would have been a disaster for him without them, so it was definitely worth the effort.

If your son is an 11th grader, you need to start the process immediately (and hopefully have a psych office that can expedite the process--ours took months). Good luck!