Menu

Besides products made in China, what other countries do you boycott(especially foods)

Besides China, what other countries would you advise me to be weary of? And in the wake of the Nestle ordeal, how do I know where the country of orgin is if it is cover under a company like that? For example, if it is a Target brand, then how do I know where the product was made if it just says " Distributed by Target Corp." There's no where on the package that says "made in..."

Please give me tips as I endeavor to start watching this....

TIA!

Can someone fill me in? We can Nestle stuff here pretty cheap because they have a large plant right behind my house.

I found it here:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64057&highlight=nestle

and here

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65446&highlight=nestle

it might just be the infant formula, I don't know about other products. Maybe others can shed a little more light on what the deal is.....

Maybe because that food poisoning thing not too long ago was first thought to be tomatoes from Mexico, then jalapenos? It came out that some of the farming practices are not very sanitary.

I don't buy anything from China that goes in our mouths, or that our food would come in contact with. I'll give Mexico another strike or two before they're "out" of my food purchasing. With China, it's just been too many things for me. It will be a long time before I trust their products. In general, if given a choice, I buy stuff produced locally, or at least in the US.

I don't buy from Mexico because of unsanitary conditions in fields, and food-safety issues that seem to continually arise from fruit/vegetables from Mexico.

Within the past month there were at least two exposes on produce that crosses our border from Mexico, and the state that it was in. Dh works in the food industry, so those sorts of reports come across his desk frequently.

I don't buy from Mexico because of unsanitary conditions in fields, and food-safety issues that seem to continually arise from fruit/vegetables from Mexico.

Within the past month there were at least two exposes on produce that crosses our border from Mexico, and the state that it was in. Dh works in the food industry, so those sorts of reports come across his desk frequently.

Well, as an ex-pat living in Mexico, I have to admit I'm a bit defensive on this subject. :)

Do you not wash your produce before eating it?

Well, as an ex-pat living in Mexico, I have to admit I'm a bit defensive on this subject. :)

Do you not wash your produce before eating it?

Well, the deal with the tomatoes and peppers (according to the news) was that it got down inside of them through the place where the stem had been. So it could not be washed clean.

But I am not sure why anyone would think produce from Mexico carries a greater risk of an E-coli type contamination than produce from the US.

I will say that I try to buy produce that is grown closer to home because of the carbon footprint associated with shipping produce long distances.

We have enough food in the U.S. that I don't see why we need to buy it from other countries. If it's out of season, then you wait for it to come back into season. Think of how much gas it takes to get those grapes here from Mexico or South America (many come from Chile during the winter). It's not just about food safety, it's about the carbon footprint. The average American dinner travels (each ingredient btw) 1500 miles to get on your plate. At that point, how fresh can it be?